Martin Audio vs Electro Voice

Liamb

I was told the other day that Martin Audio products were far superior to that of EV.

I had a discussion with a friend about it and was explained that they're much of a muchness. About the same price, build quality and sound.

I'm not that knowledgeable about specific sound manufacturers, could anybody enlighten me?

I think you'd have to be more specific about what you are comparing Martin Audio produce some very nice stuff as do EV. It's more important to pick a system that suits you and that you will get your moneys worth out of.

EV do make some products that are a lot cheaper than Martin stuff but really you can't compare something like TourX to Blackline as the price is vastly different.

What about the waveform range in comparison to the ZX?

Do you mean Martin Wavefront? If so, many of the Wavefront boxes are a three way design, with a midrange horn offering better mid frequency pattern control and increased sensitivity. Consequently, it's not really a good comparison to make...

I did mean the wavefront, thanks Simon.

As you may have guessed already I'm not an experienced audio bod!

The technician who made the original statement about martin uses Blackline F12's can you compare these with EV ZX 1's which I gather are the equivalent?

What about the waveform range in comparison to the ZX?

It really depends what you want. Personally if I was given the choice between a pair of Ev zx4s and a pair of Martin W3Ps I'd go for the W3s (Based on FOH use only) The W3 is arrayable but the zx4 can be used as a wedge.

Without knowing what the system is for it's very difficult to say which would be more suitable.

If this is just a purely hypothetical question the my firt choice would be Martin Kit.

Edit: You posted at the same time as I was writing: I would definatly chose the F12+ over the zx1

All this obsession with equipment...

If it makes a good noise, is reliable and predictable in its behaviour then any talented engineer ought to be able to make it work.

I think we spend far too long obsessing over kit and not thinking about what we are actually doing with it... I've heard d&b sound awful under the wrong hands, and prosound sound more than passable with the right hands.

What are you actually trying to do with these speakers and then we may be able to make a suggestion as to what is most appropriate for the task in hand (i.e. a pin hammer or a petrol engined jack hammer).

What scale are we talking?

Both Martin and EV have large scale systems that sound absolutely amazing! (I have a soft spot for X-line)

But I've found that the smaller scale EV stuff isn't as good as Martin?

But this all depends on the application, what series/cabs we're talking about. Both have their pros and cons but EV and Martin are two of my favorite manufactures.

If it makes a good noise, is reliable and predictable in its behaviour then any talented engineer ought to be able to make it work.

salute to the good man.

people get so tied up with branding and paperwork.

as J pearce wrote, I have also heard boxes some engineers would sneer at sounding great, and top of the range gear sounding dreadful.

a bad workman always blames his tools

As has been said, at the top of each of EV, Martin, LA, Nexo, Funktion, Turbo, Adamson, D&B etc's product lines, there really is no 'better' or 'worse'.

It's just a case of which is more suitable to your application.

You're best off describing what you want and going with an open mind - not just Martin or EV but whatever suits.

The audio world is full of people saying "X Is sh!t, Y is worse, Z is the only thing worth buying" but they're talking rubbish, most things in the top ranges of the brands listed above are best at something and worst at another.

EV does everything from relatively cheap speakers on sticks to very nice sounding large rigs.

The Martin range is smaller and focuses more at the higher end of the market.

Both companies make some very good, useful equipment and anybody generalising that one is "better" than the other is generalising horribly. I could compare individual model lines for specific applications but anyone making such a global statement clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Bob

It all depends what you need them to do shirley?

And where you want to use them. It may be your friend is a simply a kit fanatic, who regards glossy brochures depicting processor controlled arrays in the same way some regard top shelf mags...And has he actually used said speakers in real life situations and been able to compare them in the same venue and in real time so to speak?

There again were you to tour with all sorts of kit are you more concerned they can deliver the same sound gig after gig or are you just happy they stayed in one piece? Or are they are simply to be set up and left for decades?

The points made above are almost certainly from the older generations. We have youngsters trained on really "nice" (read really expensive) kit who certainly do sniff at anything less than Rolls Royce quality kit. Consequently, and here (should that be "hear"?) is the rub, they can't really be arsed to get the best out of our A&H desk and Eon 15s. They have yet to grasp that there is a huge difference between setting up for large concerts and a drama.

Not turning the main amps to full, regardless, is one of them.

Perhaps the better question might be "I want to tour, say, such and such places. The music is going to be wotever, say. What does the forum suggest are the brands which sound acceptable, night after night? Could they be flown from proper fixing points if required? Or do I make do with a chain laced through the handles? And are they "roadie proof", to use a very old expression. Please quote from your actual experience."

Archived