White Festoons

jonnybrandon

I am designing the LX for my wedding, taking place in a converted barn: http://crearweddings.co.uk/uploads/images/243.jpg

For outside I am going to use a copious amount of normal (black) festoon.

But for inside I am trying to source around 50m of cheap, entirely white festoons - to hire or buy. So far everything I've come across has been extortionate and aimed directly at a niche wedding market.

Does anyone have any leads or ideas?

I could buy the components and make them up myself but I'm not sure I've got the time or the energy....I would be willing to commission somebody to make them up for me though :)

What sort of lamps do you require ?

Miniature lamps of only a few watts as used for Christmas lighting, or full size GLS lamps of 25 watts and up to provide significanr illumination.

If low power miniature lamps only are needed, then several suppliers offer Christmas lights with white flex.

If full size GLS lamps are required, then I would consider standard 110/230 volt festoon lighting, buy the cheapest and paint the lampholders and cable white.

Alternatively make your own, if you have the skills, time, and dont mind something home-made and not formally "approved" or CE marked.

The product suggested above should be fine for decorative effect, but probably does not add much to actual illumination.

I doubt that they are as bright as a 5 watt incandescent, which of course might be fine for decorative effect.

What sort of lamps do you require ?

Miniature lamps of only a few watts as used for Christmas lighting, or full size GLS lamps of 25 watts and up to provide significanr illumination.

If low power miniature lamps only are needed, then several suppliers offer Christmas lights with white flex.

If full size GLS lamps are required, then I would consider standard 110/230 volt festoon lighting, buy the cheapest and paint the lampholders and cable white.

Alternatively make your own, if you have the skills, time, and dont mind something home-made and not formally "approved" or CE marked.

Well we are currently in a dilemma about whether to go for loads of fairy light fixtures, or whether to try to make up some white GLS chains. Probably use 15W rather than 25W. The idea about painting white might work, though - where can I get cheap black festoons? Also is there any benefit to using 110V over 240V for festoons?

http://www.lights4fu...c1301/p652.aspx

Are these any good ? I have used them before and they are a great company, if its scale of lamps or brightness give them a call I'm sure they can tell you all you need to know.

They're pretty, and kind of perfect for what we're after, but the price is out of our league.

I want to really go for it and install about 100m - amount of illumination is not so much an issue because it's the Scottish coast, and it will be daylight until about 10pm. Also the sheer amount of lampage would probably provide enough light.

Also, ideally I would be able to dim them through an alpha pack or similar.

I would honestly have a look at lights 4 fun they do some great chains and REALLY nice chains for not much. I think I tihnk I spent maybe £25 on a 40 light (3segment) chain thats dimmable resin fairy lights.

Perhaps a marque hire might have some you can hire ?

Don't know of any white cabled festoons as most marquee companies use the globes we have discussed here before.

You could PM cfmonk who may know of a marquee company, besides his, that has some or put an ad on www.curlew.co.uk for anyone who has a set to contact you.

Just stuck a pile of ropelights up in a lined sheep shed tonight and that looked tidy with black'n'white dancefloor and silver chairs. Mad but nice!

Archived