PAT Test Paperwork

Ross Bristo

Hi,

What sort of paperwork is usually kept within a venue relating to the pat test inventory and records? I'm guessing that a simple table with the appliance ID, item and usual location is the norm? And then how about records of failures? Is it standard practice for a PAT test company to supply you with a list at the end of a pat test listing what items failed and which passed, and then do you have to keep a record of what failed? Or would that go in something like an electricians fault book to be repaired and then re tested?

Thanks,

It largely depends. Our rental system's service module allows us to log test dates using asset numbers. Then we tag each item. Some places I have seen only tag the item, some keep separate registers.

Some companies will give you a listing of all items tested, but only if your items are well asset-labeled (often only if barcoded).

As for failed items, your tester should make it very clear which items have failed - the action you take with these failed items is up to you. We log them out of service in our system, they have fail tags placed over the plugs and write up a service ticket against the asset stating why it failed.

My take on 'best practice' for recording PAT results is this ...

For each item of equipment, you need to know who it is (its unique ID), what it is (appliance type and test requirements), in many instances where it is (in situations where equipment is distributed in multiple locations throughout a building, or across several sites), and probably also a note of the test interval.

Then for each test, you need the date it was carried out, by whom, an indication that all the necessary visual and operational inspections were satisfactory, a record of the results (actual values, not just a pass/fail) for the various electrical tests, a note of any remedial/repair work carried out, and whether the equipment was passed or not.

Thanks guys. Most helpful.

Also, do I need to assign an ID number for every single 16/15 amp cable in the venue? I know every single cable is tested but if I worked for HSE and asked for the 16amp cable in your stage left store, ID #90 that had failed it's last test; maybe unlikely (or is it?) could you [cheif LX/tech manager] supply that cable and cross reference the id on the cables label to your records?

Ross

Not exactly to sure what a PAT tag has on it in the UK, But here in Australia the tags themselves have a Unique number, which is them recorded (Or a Barcode) and everything else is the same.

Not exactly to sure what a PAT tag has on it in the UK, But here in Australia the tags themselves have a Unique number, which is them recorded (Or a Barcode) and everything else is the same.

To be honest, I have never seen a test tag ID number actually recorded when using pre-made tags.

If you want to keep dedicated records for cables, feel free. I think it is pointless. For cables, we use auto-generated item numbers on our memory tester with the description set to "Power Cable". I don't even bother downloading the data - after I have filled the testers memory with cables, I use the software to just wipe the thing and start again - the visual inspection is the most important part of a cable pat test anyway in my opinion - and cables are to some extent "consumables".

Asset-ed items are a little bit different - we care about their service history.

-Mac

(Australian who has spent the last week running a rather large test and tag operation 21,000 pieces of kit/cable and counting)

Forgive me Gareth, but I can see how an IEC type cable could be considered as 'part of an appliance', but 15/16 amp cabling is not an appliance, is it? I'm not saying they should not be tested - but what is really being tested in an appliance test is the device on the end. To test a cable with a PAT machine, requires an appliance on the end, doesn't it?

Electrical continuity, physical condition etc - no problem. I just can't quite see where the real necessity to number, identify and record them comes from? I've probably misunderstood something, but A big trunk of tested ones, and a smaller trunk of dodgy ones waiting for repair seems to work. I don't need a system of inventory management, so asset numbering while a nice idea, just isn't really needed. As they are put away, they're inspected physically, and I've always been quite happy with this. Any form of advanced test needs to take into account the length - so I've been quite happy simply testing for open and short circuit conditions?

An extension cable is a portable appliance, just the same as anything else. It gets plugged into the mains and handled by employees. As such, it needs testing electrically (continuity, insulation resistance) and visually (condition of cable, connectors), and the results need recording just the same as any other appliance so that there's a paperwork trail that can be followed if necessary.

You don't need an appliance on the end of a cable to test it - all you need is to connect the other end of the cable back to the tester, a facility which even the most basic of test equipment provides. Even if you're still in the dark ages and doing your PAT tests with a megger or similar, you can carry out all the required tests - continuity all the way along each core, and insulation resistance between the current-carrying conductors and the earth conductor.

When you say that your cables are inspected physically each time they're put away - even if you do have the time to examine the entire length of each cable as you're coiling it up, that's still not a complete physical inspection, because I'll bet you don't open up the connector at each end of the cable and check that the cable grip is secure, the terminals are fully tightened and there's no sign of arcing or other damage inside the connector.

When you think about it, an extension cable is perhaps even more vulnerable to damage than any other piece of equipment - it gets trailed along floors, walked on, trapped under doors, flightcases wheeled over it, regularly coiled and uncoiled, thrown into storage bins, and otherwise abused - so it's possibly the most likely type of appliance to suffer damage or degradation to the point where it's likely to cause incident or injury (exposed conductors, connections working loose, arcing and causing fire, etc.). If, heaven forbid, someone in your venue is injured or worse by a damaged extension cable, one of the first things the HSE will ask for is the test and inspection records for that particular item of equipment - if you haven't assigned a unique identifier to it, how are you going to produce the information they need?

Every single one of our mains cables, adapters, IWBs, multicores and fan-ins/outs has a unique barcode, and is subject to the same test and inspection regime as any other appliance.

I'm with Gareth on this... If an appliance has a fixed lead, then fine, but if it's a detachable lead then unless the two are tiewrapped together (and can be tested "as one"), it could be any number of cables that get used to power the appliance. I would want to know that the cables are tested and functioning safely.

When you say that your cables are inspected physically each time they're put away - even if you do have the time to examine the entire length of each cable as you're coiling it up, that's still not a complete physical inspection, because I'll bet you don't open up the connector at each end of the cable and check that the cable grip is secure, the terminals are fully tightened and there's no sign of arcing or other damage inside the connector.

Does this mean that in carrying out a periodic test on an extension cable you would expect to open up the socket (as well as the plug) in order to do the internal checks you've mentioned?

Does this mean that in carrying out a periodic test on an extension cable you would expect to open up the socket (as well as the plug) in order to do the internal checks you've mentioned?

Absolutely!

A brief physical inspection of the cable each time it's put away would reveal any nicks in the sheath and any rattles in the plug; this is good practice but cannot replace a periodic full check of each cable, including continuity, insulation resistance and a full visual on the inside of each connector.

I guess that is one of the joys of being in Australia - if our plugs are not molded, generally they will have clear plugs so a visual can be carried out without opening. The plugs we use also have hammer pins, they cannot be removed once the plug is fitted. Cables are tested 6 monthly, portable appliances 12 monthly, racked items 24 monthly. Combined with visual inspection on installation/removal obviously.

Absolutely. Terminal screws and cable grips can work loose over time, and the only way to check their tightness/integrity, and to properly check for any signs of arcing or other degradation, is to open up the connectors.

Archived