Short live sound courses?

Does anyone know of any short Live sound courses? Myself and a colleague have both been working in the industry for some time and can hold our own as noise boys (although we would be the first to admit we are lampies at heart!) but would like some formal training so we can better understand what it is we have been doing all these years! As we are employed full time in a theatre it needs to be a short course (3 days or so) but it could be anywhere in the country. Cheers in advance.

possibly not quite what you're after - more about speaker / system design than operation, but the monthly D&B audiotech seminar is interesting - they are free, and usually held at their HQ near Stroud in gloucestershire, but I think this year they will have a travelling version. The seminars are not primarily about promoting D&B products, although obviously their kit gets used in the demonstrations...

details of what and where are on the L&SI news website, I think.

Also I think Orbital Sound had some kind of training event in conjunction with the National Theatre - I' afraid I can't quite recall the details, might be worth contacting them for further information.

Andy

Also I think Orbital Sound had some kind of training event in conjunction with the National Theatre - I' afraid I can't quite recall the details, might be worth contacting them for further information.

Andy

Not certain if these courses are still running but they were intended as an opportunity for final year sound students to get some hands on experience with contemporary sound technology (via Orbital stock) and some sound design seminars (thanks to the in-house sound team at the National). Took place over Easter. Haven't heard anything about it for a couple of years though.

The d&b seminar is worth attending if you get the chance

www.kave.co.uk

Don’t know if these people’s courses are any use (the courses may be a bit simple and not in enough depth for your needs) but they are half day short modules so would be ok if you can only get a day or so of work…

Their training/educational page…

http://www.kave.co.uk/Kave_New/sales_frmset.htm

I don’t know much about the company and whether they are any good… I have only used them for one hire which was over priced but there sales seem ok…

Hope this helps…

• 1 month later...

Hi

Obviously I am biased!

We are running two 1 day seminars:

Seminar A: Basic Acoustic for Live Sound Engineers

Seminar B: Mixing Techniques for Live Sound Engineers

Training Details at Sound Foundation

We charge £75 per seminar. These are run personally by me in a live class area we build at Sound Foundation (Reading). We max the classes out at 15 people.

I have just taught 2 classes last week. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = Crap, 5 = Excellent) my students rated me at 4.8!!! I will post the feedback on our site when I get the chance.

d&b (John Taylor) do a great acoustics course and they will not charge you. My acoustics stuff is very influenced by John who I regard as a mentor in this area. I bring my own flavour coming from the direction of being a live sound engineer and MD of a diverse production company.

So come to us in Reading or d&b in Gloustershire.... but do something!

Best regards

Mark Payne

I have to add comment on Sound Foundations course:

I went last week to the 'Mixing Technique for Live Sound' and came away a very satisfied customer. It met all my expectations and more which within a day course I have always found never to be the case. How Mark read the ability of the group and moulded the day around their needs was commendable.

If you can get to a one day course, do it - you won't be disappointed!

Lee Brennan

NK Theatre Arts

I have to add comment on Sound Foundations course:

I went last week to the 'Mixing Technique for Live Sound' and came away a very satisfied customer. It met all my expectations and more which within a day course I have always found never to be the case. How Mark read the ability of the group and moulded the day around their needs was commendable.

If you can get to a one day course, do it - you won't be disappointed!

Lee Brennan

NK Theatre Arts

Thanks Lee. I appreciate it.

Look forward to seeing you on the Acoustics Seminar!

Next Courses are:

Weekday Dates

Wednesday 2nd March 2005 Seminar A: Basic Acoustics

Wednesday 20th April 2005 Seminar B: Mixing Techniques

Weekend Dates

Saturday 5th March 2005 Seminar A: Basic Acoustics

Saturday 23rd April 2005 Seminar B: Mixing Techniques

Cheers

Mark

PS.. moderators.. If I am not supposed to do this (give dates) them please let me know. Don't want to abuse forum but this seems pretty "on topic". Hope its ok.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

Can you e mail me the next courses you are running to robertlamb@blueyonder.co.uk

Obviously I am biased!

We are running two 1 day seminars:

Seminar A: Basic Acoustic for Live Sound Engineers

Seminar B: Mixing Techniques for Live Sound Engineers

Training Details at Sound Foundation

We charge £75 per seminar. These are run personally by me in a live class area we build at Sound Foundation (Reading). We max the classes out at 15 people.

I have just taught 2 classes last week. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = Crap, 5 = Excellent) my students rated me at 4.8!!! I will post the feedback on our site when I get the chance.

d&b (John Taylor) do a great acoustics course and they will not charge you. My acoustics stuff is very influenced by John who I regard as a mentor in this area. I bring my own flavour coming from the direction of being a live sound engineer and MD of a diverse production company.

So come to us in Reading or d&b in Gloustershire.... but do something!

Best regards

Mark Payne

• 3 years later...

hi, yes I run a live sound summer school in manchester, it is 5 days and aimed at mixing bands/ rock n roll and musicians rather than theatre but still may be of use? we include aspects of FOH, monitors,building a system, backline teching (guitars and drums), mixing techniques( pre recording material and a live gig, tour management as well as some theory, I ran it last year for the first time and it was a success, I am unsure if the exact dates as yet but it will be in early july. I did a bit of theory but kept that to a minimum as most people seem to want to get hands on tips and tricks. we also have meyer sound coming to us in early april , please go to their education site to register for fundamentals of system design. I can also vough for d n b having been to courses of their in germany and the UK.

the meyer sound seminar is free and there is a charge for the summerschool , I will pass on more details if you are interested.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Does anyone know of any short Live sound courses? Myself and a colleague have both been working in the industry for some time and can hold our own as noise boys (although we would be the first to admit we are lampies at heart!) but would like some formal training so we can better understand what it is we have been doing all these years! As we are employed full time in a theatre it needs to be a short course (3 days or so) but it could be anywhere in the country. Cheers in advance.

hi, yes I run a live sound summer school in manchester, it is 5 days and aimed at mixing bands/ rock n roll and musicians rather than theatre but still may be of use? we include aspects of FOH, monitors,building a system, backline teching (guitars and drums), mixing techniques( pre recording material and a live gig, tour management as well as some theory, I ran it last year for the first time and it was a success, I am unsure if the exact dates as yet but it will be in early july. I did a bit of theory but kept that to a minimum as most people seem to want to get hands on tips and tricks. we also have meyer sound coming to us in early april , please go to their education site to register for fundamentals of system design. I can also vough for d n b having been to courses of their in germany and the UK.

the meyer sound seminar is free and there is a charge for the summerschool , I will pass on more details if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering has anyone been on the Sound Foundation course or the Soundcraft one (who appear to be saying very little about courses at the moment)?

As a additional I want to do a short course on general sound, I know how to use desks and standard EQ, what I am less up to speed on is the outboard stuff, the external EQ, compression, limiters, and the main bit how to wire it up correctly. Does anyone know of anything about, some one suggested a course at LIPA but I have not had a chance to look yet.

Thanks

Archived