wooden cases

socapex

No, they're not traditional flightcases. Several PA companies seem to use them - they're all wooden with no aluminium trim. Cable trunks have double hinged flip open lids with either catches or velcro to hold them shut. Racks tend to have flat lids that sit just inside the front / back. I think SSE might use them too but then I think they manufacture their own.

I'm sure a call to one of the aforementioned companies would give the answer.

You may be talking about cases such as these from Audio Production Services or 'APS Roadbox' http://www.aps-roadbox.co.uk/ampracks.html

They're the manufacturers of Funktion One enclosures, and also make extremely nice flightcases.. as mentioned they have no alluminium etc; just plain wood! They're usually more expensive though!

As far as I know they are all custom made by Brit Row and Skan. Like Andrew I am not a fan - splinters and silly heavy. In my experience the SSE ones are not the same - these tend to be carpeted with some neat engineering and are not too heavy. Questionable longevity though!

No, they're not traditional flightcases. Several PA companies seem to use them - they're all wooden with no aluminium trim. Cable trunks have double hinged flip open lids with either catches or velcro to hold them shut. Racks tend to have flat lids that sit just inside the front / back. I think SSE might use them too but then I think they manufacture their own.

I'm sure a call to one of the aforementioned companies would give the answer.

SSE make their own. They have a subsidiary called Sigma Fabrications.

They're good cases too.

Have only come across Brit Row's, and...

I think they're great boxes... splinters maybe a problem but I'm always in full-finger gloves when doing truck-loading so it's never been an issue.

Weight, yes a big issue. Loaded into a venue about 2 months ago that was up 2 flights of big concrete steps (1st floor but old building so equivalent of 2 flights) with no lift. Took 4 big guys on the handles, plus a further 2 with a spanset wrapped underneath the case. Also, a local at Isle Of Wight festival (a well known guy from a highly reputable crew company!) broke a finger when the lid slammed shut on it. We've all had a flight case lid on a finger and it hurts, but you realise how heavy a lid is when it breaks a finger.

But protection is where these cases shine, seen one roll free-fall down a festival stage ramp into some Layher scaffold (good stage scaff!) and the scaffold came off a lot worse. Massive dent and about 5 metres of wonky scaffold. No damage to the case apart from a bit of paint missing.

Also they have to be stacked on their sides since the top edges are quite rounded and don't have the little dips in for castors to sit into. Obviously in the truck this is normal anyway, but when clearing a stage in a rush it's nice to get a few cases stacked up for easy moving.

IMHO, if you've got kit living in a venue that might get moved 10-20 times a year, yes regular flight cases are the best variety as they are lighter, more friendly on the body, stackable etc. But when it comes to kit that is on tour for >85% of the year, it needs to be packed into mega strong cases and that's what these things are built for.

Until very recently Summit Steel were using them too (unsurprisingly, as they share so much of their pre-PRG history with Brit Row).

I've never had a problem with splinters despite very rarely wearing gloves, the finish and overall build quality is excellent. Maybe with accumulated wear & tear that'd be more of a worry, but easily fixed with a bit of sandpaper and a lick of paint. (Never a problem with Summit; they were always known for maintaining their kit in great condition.)

The heavy lids were often more of an issue with motor cases than cable trunks etc., on some they had an unfortunate habit of slamming shut (seen a few near misses and a bruise or two over the years, never a broken finger fortunately), others tended to tip over backwards as the motor was lifted out - quite disconcerting.

All in all, I prefer the Amptown flightcases PRG have standardised across the whole group now. No idea what happened to the old green Summit cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've been sold off and they're still out there somewhere.

Until very recently Summit Steel were using them too (unsurprisingly, as they share so much of their pre-PRG history with Brit Row).

I've never had a problem with splinters despite very rarely wearing gloves, the finish and overall build quality is excellent. Maybe with accumulated wear & tear that'd be more of a worry, but easily fixed with a bit of sandpaper and a lick of paint. (Never a problem with Summit; they were always known for maintaining their kit in great condition.)

The heavy lids were often more of an issue with motor cases than cable trunks etc., on some they had an unfortunate habit of slamming shut (seen a few near misses and a bruise or two over the years, never a broken finger fortunately), others tended to tip over backwards as the motor was lifted out - quite disconcerting.

All in all, I prefer the Amptown flightcases PRG have standardised across the whole group now. No idea what happened to the old green Summit cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've been sold off and they're still out there somewhere.

Amptown Cases are the dogs but unfortunately very expensive. When I cased my Avo Pearl, I looked at a few cases... a 'Spider Engineering' (Flight Case Warehouse) apparently ATA-spec touring case was about £130, the Amptown Case was £400. bought the Amptown on the grounds it's what Avo include if you buy the tour pack (mine is ex-install so was delivered in cardboard) and seldom do you see a more sturdy case!

Now you mention it I've a feeling I did see them with Plummet actually, although I've only had much work with them since the re-brand. I can't say I've ever had splinters, but having had a good look at the cases (Brit Row's, anyway) I could understand how splinters from the edges (when open) could be easy. Once shut, I don't see splinters being a problem as they have a nice textured then painted finish (which is great as it's easy to grip even when wet).

With the motor cases being unstable at the top, I have seen other companies with heavy lids that have done the same, The 2 issues on that front seem to be a) the weight of the lid (especially those which have a wooden mould inside to secure the motor) but b) also the positioning of the wheels underneath the case, since if the wheels are mounted fairly 'inside' the box, and worse so if they are 'pointing' in the wrong direction, the case will tip a lot easier. I think that was the prime issue on the job I mention, rather than the actual weight of the lid.

Archived