Beyoncé at Glasto

fireball40k

Impressive show that had me transfixed until the end even though I'm not into the music.

Excellent use of video on the triangular screen together with the beams surrounding it - I assume that these were all Sharpys?

Lamps were a selections of, VL3000, VL3500, VL500, CP sharpy, BB4, and GLP impressions. We were there just before bonce with pendulum, The sharpys were brought in by production on top of the house rig.

I really can't stand her "music". In fact I find everything about her an insult to music.

but if the lighting was as good as everyone has said I should probably check it out... Any links for video clips of highlights I can watch with the sound muted? (I'm not going to sit through the iplayer coverage)

Your profile states lighting for music is like p0rn for you - rather limits the job prospects if you limit your jobs to music you actually like? I don't like her music much either, but as the lighting went - visually the results on her performance were pretty impressive. Good stage design, with the video pyramid - and best of all - proper lighting on the performers with the effects on top. I found the general band coverage great on effect, but often they performers were in the dark - very difficult to see what they were doing. One guitarist had an unusual guitar and try as I might, I couldn't read the name on the headstock because it was always in shadow.

The 'look' of the Byonce set was a neat bit of stage design and lighting design - even down to making sure the performers all looked good. Some of the musicians in other sets were difficult to tell apart from the techs wandering on and off. Production values really - these varied amazingly this year, I thought. Without the studio trickery, many performed quite poorly, but this is forgiven as somehow part of performing live - couple this with dull and lacklustre visuals, and the lighting becomes the most important part of a set because it's the only thing actually interesting going on!

Top of the bill for lighting and effects for me this year had to be Coldplay and Chem. Brothers. Superb. The pixel mapping on the pyramid looked so simple but excellent effect.

Lasers - breathtaking, particually in Coldplay when they 'start up' after the blackout.

Big thumbs up to all the design and tech team for these two shows.

Impressive show that had me transfixed until the end even though I'm not into the music.

Excellent use of video on the triangular screen together with the beams surrounding it - I assume that these were all Sharpys?

Thank You.!

Yes you are correct I added 80 x Sharpy's, 8 x VL3500's, 8 x VL3000's, 6 x Atomics, 6 x VL500's 2 x Kiss Ringlights and shared U2's 36 Mac 3's and 36 Atomics on the PA Wings.

In addition I requested and received VL3000's and VL3500's as the "house" Festival rig plus a bunch of moles, I also used the BB4's that were part of the house rig.

All run from an MA2.

Plus a bucket load of haze, smoke, low fog and Pyro smoke and over 300 pieces of Pyro for the opening.

you can watch the whole BBC broadcast Here

Even more of an Advert for sharpys if you want to call it that was the following night where I put the entire festival extras rig including 80 sharpies into Shepards Bush Empire for an exclusive secret album launch gig.!! It looked pretty cool..!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/nickvislight/photo.jpg

Really excellent job Nick. Probably the best looking show I have seen on that stage. Really well considered design (love the pyramid with the pyramid) Clean, nice structure to the layouy and the cues and some superb looks. Styling! How long did you have to pre-program?

Even more of an Advert for sharpys if you want to call it that was the following night where I put the entire festival extras rig including 80 sharpies into Shepards Bush Empire for an exclusive secret album launch gig.!! It looked pretty cool..!!!

I don't suppose any video clips of the secret gig could be made available on BR in the future, once the album's safely released?

Not being a great fan of Byonce, I didn't really want to watch her set. but boy am I glad I did! Beautiful lighting!

cant imagine how much smoke you used keeping up the beam effect.

It was all very tight and looked well rehearsed.

loved the contrasting flashing (red and white, red and yellow, blue and white)

loved the flashing banks (kind of classic rock and roll par arrays style)

loved the backlight sections.

It made the stage look totally different to anything else I've seen on there.

yet another fantastic, inspirational lighting design from nick!

Nothing to do with the actual lighting (though I do agree it was impressive), but I did chuckle when I clicked on the BBC iPlayer volume control and saw that it actually DID go up to ELEVEN!!

:P :** laughs out loud **:

Really excellent job Nick. Probably the best looking show I have seen on that stage. Really well considered design (love the pyramid with the pyramid) Clean, nice structure to the layouy and the cues and some superb looks. Styling! How long did you have to pre-program?

Thank You. The pyramid Set design came from a reference Beyonce had found and was designed by Bruce Rodgers and Executed by Tait Technologies who made a custom frame for Barco o lite.

We had 10 days Production Rehearsals in Nice and 3 warm up shows in france to refine the setlist and the show.

I don't suppose any video clips of the secret gig could be made available on BR in the future, once the album's safely released?

Yes Its not the greatest but it what I found Here

cant imagine how much smoke you used keeping up the beam effect.

Lots... The Sharpy's are amazing little units and I could actually do a focus with them in daylight with a little smoke.! but for the show we were running 5 Stadium Hazers and 2 MDG Smoke Machines Constantly and when we needed a boost and for effects there were 2 x Glaciators and 2 x LeMatre Freeze Fog Units. We also had some UV fluorescing Pyro Smoke for an effect but the wind wasn't our friend at that point in the show so I had to cut I as soon as it fired really.

Thanks for the great comments, Its hard work to pull of something like that at glastonbury but it was made possible by my great Lighting Crew and the Great Festival team of Neg Guys on the main stage.!

Here is a quick snap from our production rehearsal's..! The Sharpy is a Really Impressive Light.!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/nickvislight/IMG_1304.jpg

Yes Its not the greatest but it what I found Here

Too late, it's been nixed by the thought police - they don't hang around do they?

Especially when so may iphones were up in the air in the video. I also love the way the record company blame her, not them. With hundreds of cameras in the audience, what did they expect people would do with the video!

Archived