Terminology

Tom Baldwin

I'm trying to research a flying technique, but since I don't know the name, I'm struggling to find any information on it...

The idea is to fly a gauze (or other cloth) out, without requiring the height of a fly tower.

I'm not talking about tumblers.

I'm not talking about attaching the bottom of the cloth to a second bar so as to half the height required in the flys

It's the technique where the top of the gauze never moves, but the bottom is hoisted by a number of very thin lines running vertically through the gauze, which cause the fabric to ruche up.

The most common application is probably the FOH tabs, particularly in a musical hall style set-up

If anyone could tell me what I should be searching on, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers,

Tom

which cause the fabric to ruche up.

I would have called it just that - a ruched curtain.

When you say you are researching, what do you mean? Do you want to know how to do it (quite simple really) or are you after the "history of ruching and the associated arts"? :)

which cause the fabric to ruche up.

I would have called it just that - a ruched curtain.

When you say you are researching, what do you mean? Do you want to know how to do it (quite simple really) or are you after the "history of ruching and the associated arts"? :)

I'm trying to find out how to do it (although the thought of the lost art of ruching does amuse me...)

I was trying to avoid yet another "please can you tell me everything about how to do this" post, but I'm not adverse to the information being volunteered ;-)

Is it possible to do it such that the gauze hangs "normally" until it's flown out?

Cheers,

Tom

I knew I remembered reading this before on the Blue Room, the thread is here. Ellis' post seems to cover it fairly well:

I take it that you do not have room to fly it out fully.

Your best approach might be to 'butterfly' it.  You sew small rings to the back of it, spaced across and vertically and attach a series of cords to the batten at the bottom and run them through the rings up to pulleys above, and over a header block to a cleat on the side wall (Very similar to a roman blind).

I am not sure of the best spacing (I have conventionally flown a gauze that had the reings from a previous use but did not pay attention).

If you have sufficient height, you may be able to combine the lines into a single rope.  metalwork is available to allow you to do this.

HTH

PN

• 4 weeks later...

Archived