fog machines and DMX

adamwanstall

I have many fog machines which I want to use for my production next month, their controllers connect to the unit by IEC, is there an IEC to DMX cables I could get so I could operate these via the desk? if not what other options do I have?

I highly doubt that there is an off-the-shelf solution to this.

If you can find the pin-out used in the IEC remote(s), you may be able to construct something using DMX relays. (I'll let someone who knows for sure expand on this)

Otherwise, my usual technique is to use long IEC extensions and just use the supplied remote(s).

Hope this helps

Dave

thanks for your help, that is what im trying to avoid as the tech box is above the audience it would take 50m of cable for one fog machine, and I have 4 in use :S

I highly doubt that there is an off-the-shelf solution to this.

If you can find the pin-out used in the IEC remote(s), you may be able to construct something using DMX relays. (I'll let someone who knows for sure expand on this)

Otherwise, my usual technique is to use long IEC extensions and just use the supplied remote(s).

Hope this helps

Dave

How big is your stage that you want/need 4 foggers?

Or are they all doing different things at different times?

I'm assuming a school production - so why try to go the fancy route? Why not just stick with a manual button press by a couple of people (if all are firing at once)?

Smoke is rarely a precision effect for good reason, so is it really necessary to control it from the desk?

I've occasionally used 3 foggers and a hazer on stage in larger shows on our smallish stage, yet only the haze and one fog machine have DMX in. And even then I haven't always used them in full remote mode - they've more often been on local control.

Sure, it's useful sometimes to have control at your fingertips but examine whether it's necessary.

the tech box is roughly 30mtr away from the stage. I will be the only technical person working on the show. its quite a large production and the audience members are paying between £15-25 so I want it to look proffesional

How big is your stage that you want/need 4 foggers?

Or are they all doing different things at different times?

I'm assuming a school production - so why try to go the fancy route? Why not just stick with a manual button press by a couple of people (if all are firing at once)?

Smoke is rarely a precision effect for good reason, so is it really necessary to control it from the desk?

I've occasionally used 3 foggers and a hazer on stage in larger shows on our smallish stage, yet only the haze and one fog machine have DMX in. And even then I haven't always used them in full remote mode - they've more often been on local control.

Sure, it's useful sometimes to have control at your fingertips but examine whether it's necessary.

More to the point, why is a 'large production' that's charging £15 to £25 a pop only using ONE technician?? Or do you just use 'technician' to cover your own lighting 'department'...?

Surely there are stage crew? Or an SM at the least, who might have the capacity to hit a couple of buttons...?

If you meddle with the IEC remote connectors on those cheapo smoke machines then be VERY aware that it's mains voltage and the earth connection is NOT necessarily at ground potential!

In many of them the pump and remote button are effectively wired across the thermal switch so that the pump won't run while the heater is powered.

If you want DMX operated smoke machines then buy or rent some in.

Depending on the make/model, there are a few ready made boxes which will do this, like this one for example ...

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/dmx3f_UG.pdf

but be very aware that there is no 'standard' for the remote IEC connection on cheap smoke machines - so you must make sure you have the correct unit, otherwise you could end up with mains voltage in the wrong place!

To be honest, by the time you've tracked down and bought the adaptors, you might as well rent something decent.

Why not hire one or two of these? @£45 each for a week, two would be £90 and if your tickets are priced at £15-25, I cant see it eating into your takings too much. It would be a lot simpler and safer as well than 'tinkering' with the ones you currently have.

Why not hire one or two of these? @£45 each for a week,

+ £9 VAT = £54 each

so thats £108 plus delivery and collection which is probably £30 both ways, so thats now nearly £170 !!!

You can buy your own DMX smoke machine for that!

so thats £108 plus delivery and collection which is probably £30 both ways, so thats now nearly £170 !!!

You can buy your own DMX smoke machine for that!

Only a cheap rubbish one. Two ZR33's would provide a fog-generating force to be reckoned with. The DMX variable output is very controllable on them too, which you can't say for a lot of the cheap machines.

I build my own DMX to smoke machine controllers. They are four channel. CH.1 is smoke off 50% or less / on 50% or more. CH.2 is on time (used with CH.4), CH.3 is off time (used with CH.4) and CH.4 is the timer enable channel, less than 50% = timer off, more than 50% = timer on. The output is a set of relay contacts.

Daniel.

Archived