Can I use domestic downlights?

Benj

Hello,

We have a cabaret on in a few weeks and the centre piece is to be a staircase with lights (dimmable) in.

Now I am building the stair case but the problem is the lights I have thought of using birdies but,

1. We don't have enough

2. They will be really to awkward to fit because of their transformers and to secure them into each step.

So my idea is to go and buy some dimmable spotlights connect them to a 15 amp plug and use them through the desk.

Now what I was wondering was.

1. Is this safe? It sounds safe but these things always do.

2. Has anyone used this idea if so can you give me any troubleshooting?

3. This is a quite important one I need to cut down on channels they want 10 so thats 5 channels but even this is pushing me channel wise as I have a lot of specials. SO ANY IDEAS I AM ALL EARS!!! :stagecrew:

Cheers and a Happy New Year to all Blue-Roomers!!! :unsure:

Ben

They will have to be fairly robust as they will be dancing etc I had did not thought of that they will all be glass fronted won't they? :unsure: I think I can get perspex fronted ones? The steps are quite deep so if I think they should be alright with a risk assessment and making the company aware of them?

Just to clarify, are the fittings to go in the tread or the riser of the steps? Either way it would be wise to place an enclosure around the terminals at the rear of the fitting, as unlike a domestic ceiling (which I assume they are designed to be fitted into) members of the crew or cast may have access to the area beneath the steps. You should also ensure that there is sufficent strain relief on the cable, don't want live ends flying around on the underside of your treads. What is the staircase constructed from? If it is metal you should definitely consider a nice hefty earth bond.

I don't quite understand your channel issue, is it that each tread/riser requires a seperate channel, if not is your problem the rating of the fittings/dimmer channels?

Hope thats of some help.

Just to add my two penn'orth to Gilly's questions .....

What kind of lights? MR16-type fittings in the riser of each tread and facing outwards as 'eye candy'? Something to backlight some sort of perspex component being used in the treads? Something (e.g. Linolites) tucked under the edge of each tread to downlight the riser? Or something entirely different?

And like Gilly, I don't quite see what you're getting at with the question about channels, either - either you have enough, or you don't and you have to pair things up .....

What I was hoping for but failed was that someone would say that its ok to but two lights on the same 15 amp socket! ( So putting 4 on each cahnnel instead of doubling up and having 2) Stupid I know but I had to ask, but you are both right I will just have to lump it channels wise.

The lights will be placed on the riser of the steps and will be MR16 type fittings. :unsure:

The lights will be placed on the riser of the steps and will be MR16 type fittings.

Use the glass fronted lamps for extra protection but note that they can get a bit hot.

..was that someone would say that its ok to put two lights on the same 15 amp socket.

Even using 75W lamps, which I wouldn't do because they are very bright, you could run all 10 on one 15A channel (assuming it's got a 2k dimmer behind it).

I'd probably use 35W or even 25W lamps so that's only a max of 350W.

You could even save money by using 150W dimmable transformers and use it to feed 4 lamps.

20 low voltage downlighters look great in a set of treads. just seal the rear to stop access and if they're metal types make sure they're bonded. unlike the typical mains pygmy lamped versions so much more safe and less prone to breakage.

done this before but in the sides of the treads pointing inwards onto the steps. got some coloured bulbs too and had about 16 lights, 2x each colour (4 colours) on either side of the step = 16 lights. went to lv dimmers that were dimamble and then onto 4 circuits of dimming so we had the 4 colours.

20 low voltage downlighters look great in a set of treads. just seal the rear to stop access and if they're metal types make sure they're bonded. unlike the typical mains pygmy lamped versions so much more safe and less prone to breakage.

If they`re low voltage, they`re classed as Safety Extra Low Voltage and you do not want them connected to mains earth, is my understanding.

we did exactly this but used normall lamp holders 5 fixed in each step and hardwired it up on 4 channels (one for each step) meaning we could go up and down, chase etc, used frosted perspex on the front of each step and cut ventilation holes in the back to allow for airflow, worked a treat looked really really good, not sure about using downlighter lamps bear in mind these provide a "spot" of light (in a loose non theatrical way) which would'nt be ideal for illuminating your steps, the reason our systym worked so well is because not only was the hole step lit but it had the 5 bright globes, pretty obvious it was bulbs but that actully added to the effect, might I add it wasnt my design, was my mates! <_<

-tom

Archived