what's a good desk for busking?

micromusic

I recently had a go at a gig on a Avolites Pearl Expert, which I thought was great but out of my budget range. Anyone know anything about the Azure Shadow? If I can get a used one for under £2000 then is it worth considering?

Or something else completely?

Will be needing to control a variety of movers, LED fixtures and various PAR cans.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not know whether this is too big for your uses but what we have in my school is the LSC MaXim XLP desk which has 96 faders and a touch screen for intelligent lighting programming. We have this at my school and it is very useful and we got it £1,500 2nd hand. There is one on www.usedlighting.co.uk for £2000 2nd hand. I would highly recommend this console.

Alternativly, you could just use a small lighting desk and then use some LX softwareon your computer. There is a programme which is free which is very good and I have used it for various performances. You can use it to programme lights and you can control intelligent lights easily just by moving a dot around the screen. Unfortunatly, I cannot remember what it is called as it is on my other laptop which is in for repairs.

I hope this has helped!

when I think of busking, I think of Two Ways....

Busking on an AVO - allowing live control over fixtures, allow you to chop and change things on the fly. Palletes are also great for busking and you can create many different looks quickly and easily with what I think is a very quick way of selecting fixtures (or recalling groups).

The other way of busking is having a desk with a lot of submasters at your finger tips - programme sensibly can be as good as busking on a pearl. Just programme loads of different things on to subs, covering most scenarios. Nice colour combinations, a range of positions when using moving heads,and play around with HTP/LTP channels.

the former is easier... but the second is not impossible

thanks for the fast responses. and the tip off on www.usedlighting.co.uk is helpful. guess I need to do some serious research, but if anyone regularly busks (in the AVO sense as defined by peza :o) who has something to recommended please do let me know.

I guess the best way to decide what to get is try and have a play on a variety of gear and see what personally I get on with best

edit: that was meant to be a :) btw

further edit: what I loved about the Pearl was that you had those wheel things for further sets of subs/playback. meant you could do loads from what is essentially 20 faders/flash buttons

thanks for the fast responses. and the tip off on www.usedlighting.co.uk is helpful. guess I need to do some serious research, but if anyone regularly busks (in the AVO sense as defined by peza :o) who has something to recommended please do let me know.

In my opinion Avo are still the kings of busking, but Azure was designed for fixed nightclub install and is not great for busking. If going Avo, hold out for something running Titan software as that's under active development, new busking goodies being added all the time.

As nic says, Titan mobile with a touchscreen laptop is pretty good, and teaches you the Avo way of operating which you can then use on the bigger Titan consoles should you get to play with one.

I agree that AVO peral is an excellent desk for busking, not so much the Azure though, I agree with previous posters that it is more suited to club installs. However being a long time AVO user I have recently converted to Chamsys and have not regretted the change. Have recently bought a PC wing and am finding it to be a cheep alternative to a full blown console and with a little extra hadware (A couple of touchscreens & a programmable macro keyboard) you can retain all the functions of the full desk at a fraction of the cost.

busking on a Azure is just as good as any avo desk but you dont have faders to speed up progaming LED kit. I do live work with them they are ok so long as you dont have dimmers as your limited. you can buy a mini Chamsys PC Wing for about £500 add a computer or old touch sceen till that runs windows and you can have a ok system for small gigs for under £650

I do not know whether this is too big for your uses but what we have in my school is the LSC MaXim XLP desk which has 96 faders and a touch screen for intelligent lighting programming. We have this at my school and it is very useful and we got it £1,500 2nd hand. There is one on www.usedlighting.co.uk for £2000 2nd hand. I would highly recommend this console.

Alternatively, you could just use a small lighting desk and then use some LX software on your computer. There is a programme which is free which is very good and I have used it for various performances. You can use it to programme lights and you can control intelligent lights easily just by moving a dot around the screen. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what it is called as it is on my other laptop which is in for repairs.

I hope this has helped!

the LSC MaXim is a pig to use with LED's, absolutely horrible in my opinion. A excellent solid conventional desk, but the PatPad (The touch screen, for LED's, movers etc.) isn't the greatest innovation in man kind. - You cant put LED's as a sub-master, they must be used in a cue which is the most annoying part, a few agree on this but LSC don't see how by changing the software to allow this, it will make them any extra money, so they are just sitting on the problem at the moment. (And I should know, having the LSC head office 15 mins down the road)

I have a undeserved dislike for Avo desks that I now realise was simply due to having had two Azures. They are old now, and apart from being useful in a club environment where the big matrix of buttons allows DJs access to different pre-programmed stuff, they're a bit of a pig. Awkward and compromised for 'normal' lighting work. For a long time - I tagged the problems of this control across to all the avo range, and just couldn't understand why they were so popular. It took a long time for me to realise I'd criticised an entire brand for one horrible product. If you think about that control, with the two versions, one with real buttons and one with membrane switches to allow beer, spit and blood to be washed off - you can see it's place in the market - and for live lighting, busking and our typical use - it's compromised. They were what, a couple of grand in the 90s? - so they're a bit ancient and price wise now should be quite cheap.

I'd have to agree with themadhippy. It's easy to say that Avo desks are always great for busking but if you know another desk inside out and think you can manage on that then why not use it? Purely down to the operator's choice really..

Good desk for busking?

Simple.Any desk that you know inside out upside down

Good desk for busking?

Simple.Any desk that you know inside out upside down

This is true to a point, but some desks have better facilities for busking than others - it's all about how many different layers of effects you can have at your fingertips, for modifying things you've already programmed. For example having preset colour and position palettes with which you can modify cues. (obviously many of the higher end desks do this, not just Avo).

But, a desk with few facilities that you know really well is better than an a superduper desk which you don't really know how to use.

Archived