laptop sound to PA

IA76

Hi

Is it possible to feed sound from a laptop to XLR socket where a phantom powered dynamic mic is usually powered via a DI box? laptop-->DI box-->mic socket

We want to play sound from a powerpoint on our PA system and it would save on a lot of cabling if the above is ok to do and it won't damage the laptop.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can certainly feed the line output, or headphone output signal into a DI Box and then on to the PA Mixer.

Don't ever make up direct cables to make the connection - as there are dangers to the laptop from the inadvertent application of phantom power - so some form of barrier is essential. This can be provided by almost any DI Box, but you might want to consider an isolation transformer device - as this can also prevent power supply noises from the laptop being passed to the mixer. Never a problem when run on the internal battery!

Is it possible to feed sound from a laptop to XLR socket where a phantom powered dynamic mic is usually powered via a DI box? laptop-->DI box-->mic socket

We want to play sound from a powerpoint on our PA system and it would save on a lot of cabling if the above is ok to do and it won't damage the laptop.

Dynamic mics don't need power, condensers generally do although mostly these days to power the integrated pre-amp rather than to polarise the capsule as most things sold as condensers are actually electret condensers. Having said that your desk may only have global phantom power.

In any case as long as the inputs on you desk have sufficient gain range to be able to cope with with both line and mic level signals then you going laptop->DI->XLR input will be fine. You will not damage the laptop (1) because either you are using a passive DI box with has no electrical connection between the input and the output as it's effectively a transformer. Or you are using a active DI box which probably requires phantom to power itself supplied from the balanced side anyway.

The other option is something like

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=77&cat=13&type=90

which has some more active components inside it and gives you control of the output level.

Instead of using PowerPoint directly I'd recommend you use something like Screen Monkey

http://www.screenmonkey.co.uk/

(1) This advice comes with no warranty and it's always possible for someone to have an insane bit of kit which causes +48v to appear on the unbalanced side via mis-design or just plain stupidity.

Yes.

Line/headphone level is pretty inefficient due to their high impedance. Also isolation, making the connection balanced is a bonus advantage.

You're more likely to blow your laptop or iPod by running at line level running over long distances as it puts the small amps in them under more strain than they are designed to handle.

This is the system we have installed in my school and it has been fine. You just have to make sure that if you wire it from the sound output and the back of the computer, that there are no other things plugged into the output at the front of the computer as this will overide your DI. BOX and so you will get no sound.

That is the only thing we have to check whenever using sound from our computer.

But running *a short distance* into an unbalanced stereo input on jacks would generally be alright? Been wondering it for ages, just never actually asked the question...

E2A clarification on distance

that should work, we use the 2track input on our desk at our students union to hook up laptops etc. without a DI box, and get acceptable results, and I have run my laptop directly into my spirit folio SX in the past, I would guess it depends if your desk is designed to take unbalanced inputs or not.

does anyone know of any small usb/firewire audio interfaces with physical XLR outputs to do this instead. I use a laptops for shows/conferences and HATE rca/phono cable...even if you convert to XLR with adaptor, it's still going to be the weak link...especially with that minijack precariously poking out the headphone socket (which never gives good audio at best of times)

googled a bit but can't seem to find any portable 2ch out with XLR's

any suggestions?

d

I can't think of any with XLR outputs but there are quite a few with balanced out on quarter inch TRS connectors. Is it the actual XLR you're worried about or just getting it balanced?

Archived