Rack panel with double gang cutout

J Pearce

I'm in need of a 2U rack panel that has a cutout for a standard double gang plate in the centre, and a single gang on each side.

An AV controller will be going in the middle and a cable nylon brush port on either side (to allow cables through the rack to the patchbay on the front.

Kramer have something, but it ought to made out of gold for its list price...

I could get it made, and will get a quote for this, but wanted to see if anyone else offered something off the shelf?

I'm in need of a 2U rack panel that has a cutout for a standard double gang plate in the centre, and a single gang on each side.

An AV controller will be going in the middle and a cable nylon brush port on either side (to allow cables through the rack to the patchbay on the front.

Kramer have something, but it ought to made out of gold for its list price...

I could get it made, and will get a quote for this, but wanted to see if anyone else offered something off the shelf?

Your best bet is Bryant Unlimited (until recently known as Bryant Broadcast). Linky.

cant you bodge it yerself,1 2u blank panel,1 double and 2 single quick fix back boxes and a jig jaw,the only problem maybe having enough material for the boxes to grip too,but a strip of wood on the short edges of the hole should cure that

Another bodge would be to use a slim surface mount back box like this 16mm one for the AV controller, but the cable brushes wouldn't really work like that.

If your making it up, then use a back box as used for conduit, you can use the holes to fit suitable cable glands to secure any cables.you can screw through the panel to hold it to the front plate. Lining up the socket mounting holes should get it straight on the panel. 1 Gang brush plates are available from CPC (other suppliers may also stock them) part no AV19092, use one either side of the panel and any edges should be outside the brushed area if you do not want to spend too long with a file cleaning them up.

Surely you won't even need back boxes? Just cut the main holes (easier said than done) and then drill and tap the mounting points. Especially for the brushes, where the entire plate is thin and has no protrusions behind the mounting plane. The media controller might take more thought.

Tim

I could bodge it but I know my limits and it'd end up wonky with sharp edges etc...

We have no metal workshops here, so getting a smart result would be awkward. If it can be done for a sensible amount I'd rather have it done for me.

None of the holes will need back boxes, just a washer and a nut. The holes don't actually need to be full width and height of a backbox either, as I don't need the full clearance.

Archived