1u power amp

Tuppy68

Thanks for the quick replies, I forgot to ask aswell what sort of power do I need if the peak is 175@8ohms thanks again everyone

Spec...

Nominal Power 175 Watt RMS

Peak Power Handling 700 Watt

The usual rule of thumb, for speakers that aren't going to be thrashed, is to go for an amp rated at twice the speakers RMS rating.

I have an old 1 U amp in my folks garage left over from when I moved out a few years ago, I would have to go and dig it out to found out what it is. PM if you want details.

Thanks

Calder

CPC are or were very recently doing a pulse 1u switch mode amp. no idea of the quality of the pulse amps tho' I assume they are another chinese unit badged. I looked at it recently for a monitor amp (300w a channel at 8 ohm I think). £130 plus VAT I recall. In the end I picked up a factory refurbished 2u IMG unit (it was only for back up anyway) for £50 ish...bloody heavy tho. kind of wishing I had picked up a switch mode instead....I can Highly recommend Behringer's EPQ units, light ish and crystal clear - I picked up and EPQ 2000 recently based on chatter here and am impressed. read the web site data carefully tho for their true performance and even then in the real world the data feels a little optimistic

You could try the w audio amplifiers from prolight they seem to be the best price for watts. in a 1u housing with XLRs and speakons

hopefully that helps

graeme

Iv got one of the smaller ones of these running some small speakers, reliability seems ok so far- only light use but its been 4 years.

One thing I will say: put some tape over the blue led, its the brightest thing iv ever seen on sound gear ever.

Hi all there is a Phonic 500/ 240w 1u power amp on eBay for £80 buy it now is this enough to do the job on my ev sx80 cheers for all your replies

I was going to suggest the Phonic Max500 - http://www.thomann.de/gb/phonic_ph_max_500.htm

We use a couple of them for foldback in the church.

However, it will out put out 90W into 8ohm a side and you did ask for 175W in your first post. For DJ monitors, it may be enough - I've seen some stupidly loud DJ monitors in the past however.

Colin C

I've found 4kW to be lacking for DJ mons before...

I think they may be thinking a bit smaller scale than you are.

off topic a bit but the thing with DJ monitors like that (think decent side-fills but about 20ft nearer to the ear than theyd normally be) nothing ever seems loud enough again, and unless the DJ is wearing earplugs they'll pretty soon want/need more to seem loud enough again.

Archived