Drapes with the wrong drops...

Shez

Stepping yet further out of my comfort zone...

Problem: Venue with permanently mounted tab tracks at 14'. I need to put in some false house tabs but can only get them at either 15' or 12' drops. I think 15' is out as I can't see any practical way of shortening (hired) cloths without either damaging them or causing significant bunching up issues in the (rather limited) wing space.

:idea: An idea that occurred: lengthen the tie tapes with sash cord or similar to achieve the necessary drop and put in a border to cover up the shenanigans. I imagine I'd need to tie the bobbins together at the same spacing as the tie tapes so that they'd still run out properly.

Entirely daft idea? Common practice?

I've used the 'lengthen the tapes' solution before and as long as you can drop a border in to cover the top of the tabs you should be fine. Haven't thought about tying the bobbins together idea, but it might help with the bit of drag you will get (though whether the hassle of doing that is worth it is up to you).

The other way I shorten cloths is using the Hall Stage Clip-ons. Measure the height you need with the cloth on the deck, then fold the top back on itself and slip a clip on for every bobbin you have (or below wherever the tapes are). Then use a plastic double-ended Twinhook to hang on the bobbins and voila.

Do it all the time at our place.

HOWEVER, if - as I believe is the case - you're looking at some velour or similar house tab type material, this method may not work as a) the material may be too thick to accomodate the clips and b) if they did clip on OK, you may mark the velour...

So a mixed response there...

I've shortened wool serge drapes with a tagging gun - never had any issues with it damaging them provided you're careful. I don't think I'd want to try it with velour though - I suspect it would mark it.

If your rich a load of 2p pieces,or big washers can be used to shorten a cloth,put em at the back of the cloth and tie a tie around em from the front

I have to admit I've read this 3 times now but can't quite see where you're going with that, Hippy...

suppose its a bit awkward to explain,but er you get a load of 2p pieces or penny washers, hold them on the back of the cloth at the position you want the new ties to be,then on the front of the cloth gather a bit of material up with the 2p and tie something around the gathered cloth and 2p,viola a new tie in a new position without damaging the cloth

I think I got it on the fourth read ;)

But you're right Tony - it's thick velvet tabs so I don't think shortening an overly long set would be feasible. I'm filing all this away for future reference though - good stuff :)

suppose its a bit awkward to explain,but er you get a load of 2p pieces or penny washers, hold them on the back of the cloth at the position you want the new ties to be,then on the front of the cloth gather a bit of material up with the 2p and tie something around the gathered cloth and 2p,viola a new tie in a new position without damaging the cloth

Ah! You're talking about shortening drapes that are too long, not lengthening drapes that are too short! (Took me three reads too!)

holdons

best thing since sliced bread for shortening drapes, we use alot, as we can never find drapes/cloths the right size for the theatres I frequent.

The maxis are great for velvet/thick surge, if your using them for tabs, just use a bit of sting/rope to tie the first 3 or so together to form a header, stops it ripping the curtain if it catches.

• 2 weeks later...

in my experience hold ons cant take the weight,

Sorry, but that's rubbish!

I've been using the Hall's version of the Hold-ons for years in various ways on painted cloths and serge tabs with NO issues at all.

Maybe you're not using enough of them?

...so we (at the theatre I work in) normally bunch up and attach hook clamps or c clamps to hold the bunch to the bar

But this is something I can't picture...

in my experience hold ons cant take the weight,

Sorry, but that's rubbish!

I've been using the Hall's version of the Hold-ons for years in various ways on painted cloths and serge tabs with NO issues at all.

Maybe you're not using enough of them?

...so we (at the theatre I work in) normally bunch up and attach hook clamps or c clamps to hold the bunch to the bar

But this is something I can't picture...

yeah thinking about it, we did give up on the hold on as apposed to going for more

Archived