Lighting a Mirror Balll

partyadz

In our theatre I use 2kW ADB 13°-36° ellipsoidals with an iris.

Agreed! Great for a theatre, but I dont think you want to be lumping a 2K ADB up in a Marquee.

Personally, I use Source 4's with the most narrow lens or an iris.

If your feeling really posh, you could use a Clay-Paky Sharpy B-) They are fantastic for mirror balls!

Today I just tought the same! A sharpy would make a great mirror ball spotlight :D (altough a GLP Wash one wouldn't be bad too I guess, and I would love some of those in our inventory)

I'd use a colour changer profile, a nice 150 or 250W discharge one meant for discos will be fine and fairly cheap...Eurolite TC150 springs to mind. I wouldn't use an LED fixture, Ive seen them on mirror balls and the reasonably priced ones are generally poor. I'm sure a true pro led spot would work but at what cost!?

http://www.eurolite.de/jpg/artikel/001/51786265.jpg

Once upon a time... I attended a concert, cant remember who or where, but they had a moderate size mirrorball (18 or 24 inch maybe) that they blatted from the two (discharge) followspots that were onstage not far away. Man that was a bright mirrorball effect. Which has stuck in the memory, even though all other details have been expunged...

Hi,

I've used the Chauvet Pinspot 2, its a 3w LED spot with either 6 or 9 degree beam angle.

I was very sceptical at first, but the light output a amazing !

No heat, hardly any energy, no duty cycle.

And you can buy them on ebay for about £30.

Wonderful little items.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi,

I've used the Chauvet Pinspot 2, its a 3w LED spot with either 6 or 9 degree beam angle.

I was very sceptical at first, but the light output a amazing !

No heat, hardly any energy, no duty cycle.

And you can buy them on ebay for about £30.

Wonderful little items.

Cheers,

Pete

weve got the DMX scanning version, imagine a pinspot, but with DMX scanning and dimming, work well on mirror balls,

but my vote for the {sensibley priced } ultimate would be a par 56 can, 12v birdie transformer and a ge 4545 lamp, this is a 12v 100w searchlight lamp and very similar to an acl in beam. 2 of them from a distance and away you go.

...my vote for the {sensibley priced } ultimate would be a par 56 can, 12v birdie transformer and a ge 4545 lamp...

What, you mean like the one I posted a link to in post 2? ;)

Once upon a time... I attended a concert, cant remember who or where, but they had a moderate size mirrorball (18 or 24 inch maybe) that they blatted from the two (discharge) followspots that were onstage not far away. Man that was a bright mirrorball effect. Which has stuck in the memory, even though all other details have been expunged...

I've done this for some events recently, using a pair of Clay Paky Shadows. It's certainly bright, although unless the spots are really close to the ball you have to iris them down a fair bit. The other thing I did once was used the two spots, pointing downwards onto a pair of half mirrorballs which were sitting on the floor. This filled a pretty big venue and looked surprisingly good.

We've fired our RJ discharge follow spots at the mirror balls before and yep the reflected beams are quite bright.

The best effect I've achieved was from a pair of Mac 700 spots on tight zoom and with the MBs sat very close to them.

Especially from that close distance, adding a selection of gobos (and rotation) to the mix can create some very nice and different effects.

However, with smaller lanterns, my rule of thumb has always been to get the light source as close to the mirror ball as practical, with as tightly focussed a beam as you can.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived