Backdrop advice

darossld

Hi,

Got a show and we are just about to introduce some video to it, we are using a combination of 20k and 10k projectors to cover the whole stage from F.O.H and front truss.

The artist doesn't like the look of LED, so this is not an option at present.

Obviously having a white backdrop would be advantageous to the projections, but I want to maintain the 'club' atmosphere of the show in those sections that I am not using video. I have thought about tab-track/kabuki solutions and that may work, but what I am wondering is if anyone has used grey drapes, or any other means to get this sort of compromise without either of these mechanisms... I am prepared to sacrifice a little bit of video intensity to have the stage darker .

Thanks

D

Not sure, but I think I may not be alone in wondering what it is you'r actually trying to achieve here....

you don't say what the show is, what you're projecting, whether it's as a backdrop to the performers, or something isolated, are you using the whole stage for the projection, what do you mean by 'club atmosphere' and why...?

So many questions.

Now I do know about projections in clubs and at raves but you would have to pay me loads to part with hard-earned knowledge.

One free tip, we used a lot less powerful projectors, the punters want to see the performers not the techs showing off, otherwise you won't keep that club feel. It is meant to be dingy and dirty and somewhat low-tech works better than shiny, clean images.

Oh Ok, second tip, white or off-white screens only become obviously intrusive when you stop projecting colour onto them. Work that one out.

???

We are projecting onto the whole stage, band, riser, backdrop.

The choice of units reflects the size of stage that we are using for these shows, mainly large festival stages, and the footage is already 'distressed' shall we say, so getting the crispest brightest image is what the aim is. I can cover the stage with white cloth, however I am just seeing if anyone has any alternatives they would like to share.

By club I mean that I am trying to reduce the amount of ambient light pick up, if you are familiar with most festival set-ups then there is usually loads of uncontrollable ambient light(food stalls, work lights, etc.) I want to try and get it so that when there is no stage lighting I am not just left with 5, very visible, people stood on a stage, like I would be if the whole stage was covered in white...

D

I'm actually with Kerry here - white on stage doesn't have to stand out - loads of theatre have a white cyc, and if left unlit, always does what you are talking about - the expanse of grey blank area looks poor. Looking dark, isn't the same as being dark. Wash the screens in dark blues or reds, maybe a different colour on each to matche what else is one stage, or put some gobos on them, and they soon become set, not screen. Make them a feature, not an obstacle. Grey drapes always look like.... grey drapes? Dull and boring, and you still have to decide to light them or not.

A projection screen with nothing on it is ugly, but then so is a grey drape. As others have suggested, make sure you 'dress' the screen with something when not projecting. This could be a static image or something like a gobo texture or streaks of light from conventionals; the same would apply to grey drapes. If you really want the backdrop to disappear it will need to be as close to black as possible unless you have very tightly controlled lighting and no spill or reflection on stage.

By all means, try projecting onto grey or even black drapes. I've done this many times with great success but obviously the intensity of the image will be reduced significantly. High contrast images will be helpful in this scenario.

As others have suggested, a grey projection screen material is a good compromise. You could also consider flying a black sharkstooth gauze in front of the screen, although you can then get some interesting moire patterns.

One more tip, make sure you have shutters on your projectors (assuming they are not built in).

Thanks, not really looking for tips on content.

'Making a feature of it' is also not really what I am after.

As I will not have the luxury of a theatre environment I think I will go down the reveal route......

Archived