DPX1500 power amp with peavey impulse speakers

lonfire

hi,

I might have the chance to buy two secondhand HZ DPX1500 power amps that kickout 750w per channel into 4 ohms..

I've got two peavey impulse 200's 300w@8ohms and two impulse 500s (subs) 300w@4ohms.

do you think these amps are too powerful for the speakers? I'm going to set it up with an active crossover... HZ don't give a power rating for 8ohm speakers but I guess it'll be around 500-600w ish which is around right for the impulse 200s.. but what about the subs..

are there any rack devices that can measure power ouput from power amps? that I could use to makesure I'm not canning the speakers?

any thoughts..

thanks

chris

hi,

I might have the chance to buy two secondhand HZ DPX1500 power amps that kickout 750w per channel into 4 ohms..

I've got two peavey impulse 200's 300w@8ohms and two impulse 500s (subs) 300w@4ohms.

do you think these amps are too powerful for the speakers?

Nope - they sound about right to me.

are there any rack devices that can measure power ouput from power amps? that I could use to makesure I'm not canning the speakers?

Don't worry too much. You're far more likely to trash speakers with an underpowered amp than an overpowered one. Just watch the clip lights on the amp when you're setting up your gain structure.

• 1 month later...

hi,

just got one of my HZ DPX1500 amps.. tried it at the weekend.. with my full range cabs it worked a treat.. we compared it with the old amp which is around 7-8 years old and it sounds so much nicer (which is what I'd expect)..

as I haven't got the second one yet or the active crossover I tried it with the sub putting it into the internaly filtered input.. I managed to put the amp into protection twice.. I guess it was because we were pumping full range into the sub and it was filtering out most of the signal.. I guess when I have the crossover setup properly and its only amping the frequencies the subs using it wont do this (I hope).

I now have a fender 320w RMS per channel power amp and two TOA 340w RMS speakers to sell.. I was hoping for around £300 quid for the set.. they are around 7 years old, but have been used for church type events so never gigs really hard.. that sound a reasonable price?

rgds

chris

Speakon leads - they'd do the job, but for the sort of power ratings you're talking about, I'd be tempted to go for a heavier cable - probably 2.5mm - the cost difference is minimal.

If you like making up cables yourself, you can get 2-pole Neutrik speakons from CPC for about 1.50 each, or 2.50 for the 4-pole variety. 50m of their flexible speaker cable is about 20 pounds for 2.5mm or 30 for 4mm.

Bruce.

I was looking at the "Pro-Power" stuff on page 1238-1240 of the 2005 catalogue. 2 types - one branded "extra-flexible", available in 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0mm2

2 core audio cable. red&white cores, cotton filling, dark blue jacket. Outer jacket is either 8mm, 9mm or 10.5mm diameter. It's advertised as being "ideal for home cinema or car stereo systems". Never used it, but from the pics and spec it looks OK....

Available in a 2x2.0mm, 2x3.0mm2 or 2x4.0mm2 options, in 50m or 100m reels. Part numbers are

cbbr8162/63/64/65/66/67/70/71

has anyone tried this stuff?

hi,

thanks for that.. found it on their website.. they have NO specs and NO pictures for it.. will be looking at my catalogue when I get home..

might go for the 3mm.. the difference in price between 2.5mm and 3mm is £2.. 50m for 23 quid ain't bad..

thanks

chris

p.s. is this picture the wrong one? it says male speakon, but isn't that a female speakon?? Male speakon?

p.s. is this picture the wrong one? it says male speakon, but isn't that a female speakon??  Male speakon?

Nope. You just can't see the centre plastic pin thing. Neutrik do not make a female cord mount speakon... (OT: or a female cord mount powercon for that matter,grr...) making it neccesary to use an in-line speakon socket-to-socket coupler.

HTH

David

Archived