Screens in the sun

Doug Siddons

Does anybody have a more elegant solution for using the screen on a desk when outside apart from gaffering cardboard over it?. We normally ask for a covered front of house position, but on the last gig we did, it blew away! This happpened halfway through leaving everything exposed. Luckily it didn't rain, but trying to read what was going on and using the touchscreen was a nightmare.

For those who want a laugh picture here

Make it bigger! That desk appears to have a VGA output on the back which might not be too helpful as regards replicating the touchscreen bit of it but if you borrow a bigger and brighter PC monitor you might have a fighting chance of seeing what's going on, especially if you put some shading on it.

Still, no shelter from the rain? Really? No budget for a cheap popup gazebo?

David.

I had in fact been toying with the idea of buying a DJ style laptop support.... the type where the "riser" is twards the back..

My idea is that the ls9 can sit on the supports... and the laptop itself can be the shade as it "hovers" over the desk..

flaw in the plan is the laptop screen will need shading too...... maybe I can just start stacking screens vertically :D

EG this type:

http://www.mirage2000records.co.uk/acatalog/Laptop-Standnewmain.jpg

along with some good robe and storm pegs

What do you need the Robe lights for? :** laughs out loud **:

Bit of an expensive desk lamp!!

I like the colour changing facility, and being able to pan to different pieces of kit. Also I have a gobo exactly the shape of my console.

I like the colour changing facility, and being able to pan to different pieces of kit. Also I have a gobo exactly the shape of my console.

Running it via midi control from the desk I trust?

Running it via midi control from the desk I trust?

Sometimes I use a motion sensor on my head to make a decently powerful head torch.

Honestly I would really like this thread to reach a decent conclusion with some decent ideas.....

digi desk + the endless outdoor job + valencia/spain's sun = TechieNoSeeNowt.

Got a rather large outdoor gig confirmed for june... so the clock's ticking!

Having said that: the OP's foto has so many chances for a giggle.

Eg why are is what looks like triax camera cable being used for audio.

The carpet to stop people tripping over the cable... wont help.

The arm rest infront of the desk has been filled with clutter, where you gonna rest?!

that bacon roll will be cold by now, along with the last 2 cups of tea and the current one.

Any audiofool phile will tell you that a supercooled digi desk will greatly reduce those pesky harmonic frequency caused by the ether rushing through the cables used, so no the box was not emptied before tipping over the desk.

In answer to your questions:

The red cable is mains, we used the brightest colour we could so people could see it, digicore is the black one beside it.

The Bishop wouldn't let us dig the cable in so used the carpet as it was big enough for anyone to see on the path and kept watch on the cable on the grass.The best compromise I could come up with.

Don't use arm rests but do need gaffa and fags very close to hand

Bacon roll was horrible but was waiting for the recycling dog to arrive and do his stuff, iced tea on a hot day ideal ( you were wondering where the ice cubes went!)

In answer to your questions:

The red cable is mains, we used the brightest colour we could so people could see it, digicore is the black one beside it.

The Bishop wouldn't let us dig the cable in so used the carpet as it was big enough for anyone to see on the path and kept watch on the cable on the grass.The best compromise I could come up with.

Don't use arm rests but do need gaffa and fags very close to hand

Bacon roll was horrible but was waiting for the recycling dog to arrive and do his stuff, iced tea on a hot day ideal ( you were wondering where the ice cubes went!)

Excelent.. My statements were tongue in cheek.. Just lightening the mood.. not aiming at you or your work :)

I've worked with a company that had a piece of sheet steel manufactured to slot over the screen of an LS9 and another one for an M7. It was held in place with velcro, and I THINK, slotted into a space underneath the desk between the flightcase. Design was not dissimilar to your cardboard solution, but looked neater and had a curved front edge, so you didn't have to stick your head right in there to see.

Worked quite well, though made the touch screen on the M7 rather awkward to use - I reverted to a stylus.

Anyway. Possible solution.

HTH,

J

Archived