Pro MD Players

Peber

Our sound kit supplier has recently told us that the high end companies (Sony, Denon etc.) have stopped making professional mini disc players.

The domestic players just can't handle the amount of use we give them and are going down quite quickly.

Can anyone advise me on another medium as versatile as mini disc for playback?

Thanks a lot.

I concur that the Tascam MD decks are good units worth consideration.

Also, I notice that Total Audio Solutions still list the Sony E10 and E12 decks on their price list. If you like the Sony units, it might be worth ringing them (01557 880051) to see if they still have any. Since they're a Sony audio main dealer, at least this could confirm/deny what your original dealer has told you.

As for a replacement "as versatile as a minidisk", I've had to "bite the bullet" and move to a computer based system...not as convenient as MD in terms of the physical size, but even more versatile....

Bob

I was told a year ago that Sony had stopped making the pro MD drive so only the consumer drive would be available and yes its not as hard wearing or functional. MD failed to replace CD for walkman use so the consumer market couldn't support the few pro drives needed. There is the option of Hard disc recording nearly as functional much more expensive.

"The domestic players just can't handle the amount of use we give them and are going down quite quickly."

We have been useing 2 domestic sonys for about 6/7 year and they are still going strong would have to disagree on this point. They get hammered week in week out at our venue.

touring companies we have had in also useing domestic md players as well.

If you are that worried about them breaking down you can get 2/3 times as many md domestic players as you can for the price of a pro one so you will always have a spare.

Barry

But the difference being you are probably likely to use the 3rd machine ( the spare spare ) on a domestic system whereas you probably only need your main and backup or even just your main with a professional unit.

It also comes down to warranty, if a company knows you are using your domestic machine in a commercial environment then they dont have to do anything as its not failed in what it was designed to do, whereas a commercial machine has a warranty to support its use in a commercial environment... I know its a pedantic point but still...

Tascam models - nope, now it's just model. The lovely 800 series machines are no more - best editing MD I've ever used.

It does look like the end of the road for the MD from a pro point of view - everyone is dropping them like flies!

Recordable CD machines and hard disk systems are the way forward it seems. I guess editing and compilation on the lap-top then playback either direct, or via CD is the way to go.

I've even run a show of my alesis HD24, used like an md player. The small nNovia DV playback machines also work well (at about £700) and you can squeeze 4 of those into a rack horizontally - 20gb hard drive and firewire in and out

MD going is a shame, but I don't think we'll miss it for long!

''We have been useing 2 domestic sonys for about 6/7 year and they are still going strong would have to disagree on this point. They get hammered week in week out at our venue''

We have about 6 Sony domestic players (mainly JE520's) and have been using them for a few years. Only 2 of them work now. From continually moving them between our two venues the phono outputs on the back have stopped working. I would keep a careful ear out on your players to try and prevent you having the same problem. This problem tends to be intermittent, they can work with your pre show checks and go down half way through a performance!!

When domestic kit is transported , or re plugged often the (often pcb mounted) phono sockets themselves die. -- going intermittent then .....

Minimise damage by keeping the load off the sockets. -dont stand the players on their backs(connectors) - dont push the machine too close to the wall - use right angle phonos to keep the connector close to the player. --Use a short break out lead to do the repeated connecting away from the op phonos

Archived