Basic Electrical Installations

In reality (as has been mentioned before) the 2382 only really covers the ability to find and apply the information in the British Standard. This is in many ways useful, but it is not training in the practical aspects of installation.

What is somewhat annoying is the lack of 'accreditation of prior learning or experiential learning' - i.e. you are expected to take all of the low level C&G courses, even if you have knowledge gained outside the lengthy C&G route. I understand that some form of credit based system is being introduced, but that doesn't immediately answer the OP's question.

The problem with most people who think they know everything they need to be classified as an electrician, is that they often have glaring gaps in their knowledge and usually some dangerous misinformation too.

If there was such a thing as a proper apprenticeship still left in this run down country, then it would be the best way to go about training properly with real life experience and an actual appreciation for the stuff in the text books.

The training industry is out of control these days. A lot of the courses being presented are empty Powerpoint presentations given by people who's only skill is turning the projector on, pressing the spacebar and reading whatever appears on the screen.

True dat. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Most public buildings have to be electrically tested yearly and any changes to the electrical infrastucture have to be signed off with a minor works certificate so if I were you I would not bother trying to do any of these alterations on your own just call contractors in. This then points you towards basic electrical courses like Stage Electrics provide. This means you are not electrician after but you can make an extention lead up without blowing yourself up. This would probably be enough for the job you have but as previous posters have said if you get a full contracting qualification it gives you something to fall back on.

I hope this helps

Archived