Le Maitre Flash powder

lightsource

Hi all,

Looking for some Le Maitre (or alternative) Flash powder.

Used to buy it years ago (circa 1985ish), in an 85g (3oz) plastic container abour 2 inches wide by about 3 and a half inches high.

Anyone have a source for something similar?

It's the powder only I'm looking for.

Had a trawl through Le Maitre's website and couldn't find it.

Does it still exist as a stand-alone product, or are there other suppliers worth a look at.

One requirement I do have, is a minimal amount of smoke produced by the flash. Not something I remember the original powder to be good at ;)

I work at a school, and I bet if I took biscuits to the science technicians they could provide it...

A pupil once went to them for a helium balloon to be used onstage, they sent them back with a hydrogen filled balloon. Said pupil was rather upset that I wouldn't let them anywhere near the stage with it.

Just to add to this, I've had a PM from someone who also wants to obtain Flash powder, and has asked me how to go about it, even though this topic has specifically stated it can be purchased from TPL.

I feel it only prudent, that some of the dangers of using powders, should be noted, and rather than replying to him directly, thought it would be better if it was discussed on the forum.

Generally:

Flash powder is a silver coloured, extremely fine powder that has a texture like flour. Cough or sneeze and it'll go everywhere.

Static electricity is a serious issue, so it's advisable that the user is electrically grounded at all times. If you're not, it only takes one spark.

Flash powder is not for the faint hearted, or a user that has no knowledge of pyrotechnics. It is a very dangerous product, and has it's own special needs, and should only be used by people who can competantly complete a risk assessment as to it's use.

If you can't do that, then play safe.

Or don't play at all.

Archived