Fibreglass ladders for electrical work

Biskit

A recent review of risk assessments at our venue has highlighted that we need to be using fibreglass ladders for work involving electrics. We have some lighting positions which can realistically only be accessed by extension ladder for focussing purposes, and we currently have an aluminium one for this purpose.

Problem is, we can't seem to find a fibreglass ladder which is to Class 1 Industrial standards... only EN131 (formerly british class 2 - Trade) types. Do Class 1 fibreglass extension ladders exist? If not, what do other people use in this situation? Timber ones are a possibility but they will be very much heavier so we're not keen on that idea.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If not, what do other people use in this situation?

tell em to wind there neck in,if something was live up there it should have taken out the circuit protection,if not id rather grab a live ladder at ground level than a live lantern at the top whilst holding the lx bar,if they insist you do something how about a rubber mat for the ladder to stand on?

+1 for what Hippy said. What risk are they trying to mitigate with this?

If there's a real risk of hitting something live with the ladder when you're carrying it about, then I'd wonder exactly what sort of place you've found yourself working in.

As for the risk of contacting something live whilst up the ladders, what are they expecting you to come across up there? Surely most of the work you'd do at a lighting bar would be plugging in or unplugging stuff? Besides, if you're going to come into contact with something live on a lighting bar, I'd have thought your biggest risk would be across-the-chest flow of current if you've grabbed the great big earthed metal bar in front of you!

e2a: How many people here actually do use a fibreglass ladder for this sort of work? Anyone?

Of interest?

Claim to be Class One and EN 131 : 1993

http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/professional-trade-ladders-fibreglass-ladders-and-steps-c-312_339.html specifically:

http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/section-class-glass-fibre-push-up-extension-ladder-p-708.html?osCsid=75985bd44a37b3f70ed57ca170e6badd

Free delivery! At that price I expect a ladder gang to work it...

I have a couple of pairs of steps ie the yellow fibre glass types. Excellent for "low" jobs, especially with the proper step cf a round.

Ye Gods, who is telling you this stuff? Fibreglass ladders were often used by the electricity boards on open cable jobs particularly where metal poles were used but even there things have moved on a bit.

If your electrics have been assessed as sufficiently dangerous to justify fibreglass ladders please call HSE and get the place closed today! Right now! Don't delay, I'm serious!

One advantage of fiberglass ladders is that they are lighter, and hence easier to move around, which may mitigate some manual handling issues. But unless you are moving it around regularly for long periods of time, I couldn't say it's worth the money.

Well Stuart I'm not too sure about them being lighter as such. Most of the ones I have seen at Travis Perkins say were not exactly light, especially if there was a pulley on the side.

The one I linked to above is 23kg or 50lbs. I'm not sure I could carry that around too much and then raise it and lower it for very long at all.

Well Stuart I'm not too sure about them being lighter as such.

My experience has more been with smaller sets of steps up to about 8ft or so. I'm not sure how well fiberglass "scales up" to the longer lengths, it may be that there needs to be more material to get enough structural strength.

A couple of years ago we were providing PA for a wrestling show. They used fiberglass ladders for their "ladder bout". They managed to break a pair so it wasn't a cheap gimmick.

Basically the longer the ladder the heavier the grade of fibreglass, the less the weight savings, as Stuart suggests.

I'm with Paul and would strongly suggest mentioning ERICPD to the risk assessor as glass ladders are way down the hierarchy and if you seriously need them you seriously need more primary safety measures.

One nice thing about fibreglass ladders is that they do provide excellent pole-vault training and if, like me, you cannot abide "whippy" ladders then they aren't much cop. We had an extra long set and I used them twice before losing the key to their padlock down a drain. :rolleyes:

The nearest I could find was OSHA Instruction STD 1-16.7 JUL 1, 1991 Directorate of Compliance Programs, Subject: Electrical Safety-Related Work Practices--Inspection Procedures and Interpretive Guidelines, which requires:

7. Portable Ladders. Such ladders may not have conductive siderails in situations where the employee or the ladder could contact exposed energized parts. All ladders shall be in compliance with requirements of the standards found elsewhere in Part 1910.

But my observation is that American elctricians generally use all-insulated step-ladders.

Archived