Accident at Pavilion Glasgow

Grahame

Just heard of an accident this afternoon during the Pavilion's matinee of Jack & the Beanstalk, where something went wrong with the beanstalk mechanism, and Wee Jimmy Krankie and fellow cast member Gary Hollywood fell about 20ft. from the top, sustaining head injuries. Both said to be 'stable'. This evening's show has been cancelled.

See bbc news.

I don't know much more about this yet (I'm just round the corner at Theatre Royal), but I understand that the beanstalk mechanism is based on an American imported hydraulic 'ribbon lift' that has not been seen in this country before.

Will post more if I find out any details.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Ceefax, it was a 10 foot fall. Mind you, I suppose a 10 foot fall for Jimmy Krankie is about the same as a 20 foot fall for anyone else :)

Apparently tonights show is cancelled, and the audience at this afternoon's show got refunds. 2 people in hospital, neither believed to be seriously injured,

A couple of weeks ago, this show had more adverse publicity - the beanstalk, specially imported from America, failed to operate, and the opening nights performance was cancelled.

Bruce.

Thanks for the web link, Ketil. I think I've seen one of these lifts in use at a rock gig in Germany - looks an impressive bit of kit, but I can't help wondering about its lateral stability when extended. And do they adjust for uneven surfaces/raked stages? I know the Pavilion has a bit of a rake on it.

Just saw an update on Reporting Scotland - Iain Gordon, Pavilion Manager, said that: "... the beanstalk went up to about 5 metres, and as it was coming down, around 10 feet, the beanstalk bent." Hmmm....

How do these things actually work? I can’t see how the metal pole (which is in sections) comes out of the base. There must be stored in some clever way to all pull in line as they are being hoisted. Does the name ribbon lift mean anything (or what I should say, has got any relevance to do with the way it works)? :)

Does the name ribbon lift mean anything (or what I should say, has got any relevance to do with the way it works)? 

There is an explanation on the website; basically it's three ribbon strips wrapped round each other like a clockwork spring, that are somehow persuaded to form into a triangular pillar with edges that 'zip' together. I think it was originally developed for the space program.

Have a look at Spiralift.  Similar principle, but it won't break!  I don't know how the "zip" on the ribbon lift works; has anyone got any info?

This is what I first thought it was like, not the same but similar.

From two pictures it looks like it is elongated dove tails, the wide ends (1-2inches) that interlock.

According to today's Super Soaraway Scottish Sun (admittedly not renowned for the veracity of its reporting), Ribbon Lift are now saying that the lifts are not designed for lifting people. Dave Pane of Ribbon lift said: "We certainly don't advertise it as a personnel lift as it's never been certified for that"

This despite the pics on their website clearly showing it with people standing on top?? And it does say under 'construction industry' applications that it can be used as a man lift....

I can see this one is going to get very acrimonious

:)

According to today's Super Soaraway Scottish Sun (admittedly not renowned for the veracity of its reporting), Ribbon Lift are now saying that the lifts are not designed for lifting people. Dave Pane of Ribbon lift said: "We certainly don't advertise it as a personnel lift as it's never been certified for that"

This despite the pics on their website clearly showing it with people standing on top?? And it does say under 'construction industry' applications that it can be used as a man lift....

I can see this one is going to get very acrimonious

;)

I was just about to say that sounds a bit weird. I also noticed it has people on the Ribbon lift on the website.

I think someones trying to hide something :stagecrew: :** laughs out loud **:

It's going to come up at some time.

What will happen in the end will the Krankies' go away with nothing at all,

or will they get it all?

Will a big company go bust 'cause of a wee Krankies' fall?

Ok so my very VERY poor attempt at a panto poem, but really what will happen?

but really what will happen?

According to today's "Sunday Mail" - wee jimmy krankie is going to be out of circulation for 6 months. (s)he "said beforehand she didn't like the crane".

They are consulting with lawyers, but will have to finance any action themselves, as their equity membership has lapsed.

It's in the Sunday Mail, so it must be true....

Bruce.

Archived