EHIC cards (aka e111)

Seano

This is essentially a re-post of a reminder I read on another forum..

The EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) was introduced about 10 years or so ago, with a 10-year term before it expired.

Most travel insurance requires you to have one with you for your travels in Europe, and judging by the thread I've been reading on another forum *lots* of people who have these cards don't realise they're about to expire (or - as in my case - already have expired).

Info about it here.

Renew it online here (or, if you're old-school about such things, you could pop down to the Post Office).

This is essentially a re-post of a reminder I read on another forum..

Please also be aware that although the British goverment tell you that the new card is valid from the moment it arrives, some countries won't accept it until your previous card has expired.

I discovered this the hard way having dislocated my shoulder in Sweden last Autumn. The card saved me medical bills of nearly £2k, but the arguments about the validity of my two overlapping cards ran on for 4 months and involved two sets of solicitors ( one english and one swedish) and a international firm of baliffs!

Make sure you get the right website if you sign up online. There's at least one website that'll handle the application for you, for a mere £9.95. Except... the card is actually free, and the sign-up process is quite simple! If you're being asked to pay, then you're on the wrong site.

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do is the site the NHS website links to.

On a linked subject if you have just or are about to renew travel insurance read the policy very carefully. I noticed on mine now that they want to be informed if anybody in the party has a pre-existing medical condition irrespective if whether they are covered under your policy and that if you travel by motor-cycle you are not covered. These are new exclusions as far as I can see - and were not mentioned in the sales material.

Archived