Cheap SD recorder from CPC

Alec

.... but I have be told by CPC today that it might have to go back to the manufacturer with a 3 week lead time for investigation.

Sorry, but that attitude is not acceptable. The item is clearly "Not fit for purpose" and, as the supplier, CPC should be offering you a full refund. If they refuse to do so you should contact your local trading standards office.

Probably not going to work. The "supplier to remedy, rather than mfr" that we all rely on is consumer protection, not business to business. Their conditions are what will govern how it is handled. You did read them before clicking "I Accept"? :rolleyes:

That said, it isn't what I'd expect of a supplier who wants to keep my custom.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am beginning to feel that way, but that seems to be the way these companies work now. I had a Behringer device on the bench a few weeks ago, they have a return to depot system for all their repairs. Try finding a diagram or parts list for any of their products!!! I know the score with these companies and I won't even bother to return it as I know it will only cause hassles and a waste of my time. It will live in the bottom of my cupboard with a few other non starter products.

Nick - if this is down to a one-off faulty unti we will either arrange for repair or replacment. However if there is a general problem with the product we will liase with the manufacturer to have the batch swapped out for good stock or discontinue the line. This is the first problem I have been made aware of with the iKey product. Please email any additional information together with the CPC order numbers etc over to me (cbeesley@cpc.co.uk) and I will take this up with the guys at iKey/GCI.

Hi Chris,

I think we have spoken before while I was at Reading University computer services dept. I have spoken to a chap who is selling a bunch of these as customer returns to try and see if there was a common factor in these faults. Unfortunately most of these were returned due to the clipping of the audio playback at the start of the track and the date stamping issue. Both of these faults are inherent into the design as there is no RTC built into it and as yet there is no firmware fix for the audio glitch. As for the audio output shutting down when outside interference is heard, I am at a loss. It is on the audio side rather than the digital as it shuts all output. I have filtered mains. Even an incoming text message will kill it. It really isn't a good product at all and needed some better bench testing prior to it's sale. I have since replaced it with a Roland device and decided to list the RM3 on Ebay with a very honest item description. Might get 50p for the SD card. I'm not interested in a replacement as even without it's faults it is a truly lousy excuse for a recorder. This is NOT the fault of CPC, it is just another imported junk product that looks good on the outside.

We bought an iKey audio, and its right you get what you pay for, ours just didn't work, it distorted the sound, highly compressed it even recording as a wav and the audio quality was beyond behringer poor...

We had a brief problem explaining to CPC on returning it that it didn't do what it said on the tin, it says it records, it doesn't say it compresses and distorts!!! but eventually gained a full refund.

Haven't yet found a suitable rack mount device that records to SD, who wants to record to compact flash!!!

We have been successfully using thezoom R16 8 track recorder, can be USB powered, can be battery operated or runs off PSU records 8 tracks multi track to SD card, no noise distortion or poor digital recording, full metering and playback functionality.

Denon have their DN F650R. They boast all the same features RRP is around the 600 mark but the price is coming down fast. Unlike the dodgy iKey, it actually works!

Things I have discovered about this dreadful machine is that the specification calls for a 5vdc 1.2amp supply. The third party unit supplied in the UK retailer package is only rated at 1amp. According to CGI and ikey there are no plans to offer another firmware update. The last one gave it the ability to delete files but didn't address the single track at a time play back that even my 5 year old mobile phone does with ease! Looks to me like these are going to have a very short shelf life and the dealers will do what they can to get rid of them.

Thanks for the heads up, Will Davies has been a great help with trying to understand the issues with this device. The PSU was the cause of the RFI having had it on a test today. It is under rated by 250ma according to the spec on the RM3 itself. On a good quality non switch mode supply the RFI problem has gone. The supplied PSU together with the input stage of the unit has no choke. The updated firmware, once again thanks to the help of GCI has given the unit the ability to delete files where it didn't before. There are still the non continuous playback and what seems to be gated audio to over come. GCI want this product to work. So do I.

This makes interesting reading regarding the RM3, quite a good hands on review of it

http://www.saidnews.org/reviews/iKey%20HandsonReview.pdf

That's a 'good hands-on review'? I have to say I think Ed Alstrom has a point in his comments at the end of the review. The grammar is so awful as to make the review mostly incomprehensible, and this from a charitable foundation called "The Society for Accurate Information and Distribution"! Who are supposedly dedicated to "Providing accurate information for better decisions and positive entertainment for the whole family."

That's a 'good hands-on review'? I have to say I think Ed Alstrom has a point in his comments at the end of the review. The grammar is so awful as to make the review mostly incomprehensible, and this from a charitable foundation called "The Society for Accurate Information and Distribution"! Who are supposedly dedicated to "Providing accurate information for better decisions and positive entertainment for the whole family."

Perhaps not the best grammar, however, the content and his findings once decyphered do in fact echo what I have found in this machine

• 3 months later...

Our church has an iKey RM3, it's just died for the second time so it will probably go back to Thomann for a refund rather than a replacement. It's looking like we might have to spend some more, can anyone recommend a decent solid state recorder. Balanced inputs not essential, it should have level indication, a headphone socket and be rack mountable.

If the Pulse DMP-200 is as described above it isn't going to cut it.

Denon DN-F450R looks not to have the level indication

Marantz PMD560

Tascam SS-R100

both look like they would be suitable.

Anybody used any of these or anything similar, and able to recommend?

Our church has an iKey RM3, it's just died for the second time so it will probably go back to Thomann for a refund rather than a replacement. It's looking like we might have to spend some more, can anyone recommend a decent solid state recorder. Balanced inputs not essential, it should have level indication, a headphone socket and be rack mountable.

Marantz PMD560

Tascam SS-R100

Went through this exact same decision a few weeks ago for our new church system.

Didn't want an iKey RM3, as it didn't have great reviews.

First choice was the Marantz, based on the pricing, but you will struggle to find anywhere that has it, as stock appears to have run out, and it is no longer manufactured.

The Tascam was slighlty too much, so went for the Denon DN-F450R. Really pleased with it, and can confirm that is DOES have level indication. You just have to change the display. It has balanced inputs, and is rack mountable (comes with all required parts). It is half width, not full width. Think we managed to get one for around £380 iirc.

Marantz PMD560

Tascam SS-R100

Went through this exact same decision a few weeks ago for our new church system.

Didn't want an iKey RM3, as it didn't have great reviews.

First choice was the Marantz, based on the pricing, but you will struggle to find anywhere that has it, as stock appears to have run out, and it is no longer manufactured.

The Tascam was slighlty too much, so went for the Denon DN-F450R. Really pleased with it, and can confirm that is DOES have level indication. You just have to change the display. It has balanced inputs, and is rack mountable (comes with all required parts). It is half width, not full width. Think we managed to get one for around £380 iirc.

Marantz have discontinued the 560 and the 570 ..

I'd look at the denon 450 or even it's bigger brother the denon 650

The 450 is a fantastic unit.. Really easy to use and record

M

Archived