What do you do with all your old lanterns?

MATTJSTMARYS

If the school thinks they are un-usable & thinks of them as scrap & cannot ebay them, get them skipped/scrapped/written off & get their written approval for you to have them, then sell them yourself on ebay or on here on the classified section. You will be surprised how much they will go for when listed seperately & truthfully!

If selling, donating, or giving away the lanterns, be certain to include a written disclaimer something like

"secondhand or vintage equipment. to be examined by a competant electrician before use"

My inclination would however be to fix them and keep them.

Older types of theatre lantern dont really have much to go wrong and should be cheap and simple to repair.

I've never binned a light unless its external case or lens/reflector system is beyond repair. All the internals are easily replaceable, it's only really a lampholder and some silicone flex.

A good clean will make even 50 year old lights like Patt23s, 123s and 743s all very useful.

Second hand Patt 743s (40 yr old design?) currently cost more than second hand CCT Starlettes (20 year old design?)...

I find replacing a broken part of a lantern is much cheaper then replacing the lantern it self. Look on the manufactures websites and you should find the parts needed. I have also had two or three of my old lanterns re-powder coated and they are now as good as they were when I got them. It cost me £15 to have a cct minuet profile done, so it’s not to expensive and his given my fittings another 5 or 6 years of use :rolleyes:

What do you do with all your old lanterns? Scrap? Sell?

Flebay, you will be surprised at the prices

Indeed.

I have a handful of bits on Fleabay at the moment (as per my BR 'FS' ad) if anyone is interested...

Archived