High Quality 100v Horns

TonyMitchell

Currently looking at investing in some decent 100v line equipment and have come across these units from German manufacturer IC Audio

http://www.ic-audio.com/product.php?kid=6&act=v&pg=65&l=en

Everything about them looks top notch - a respectable 105dB/1m and plays down to 80Hz for music which is pretty special when it comes to PA horns.

I've no experience of the manufacturer before and must admit to having not heard of them until now. Anyone out there having used any IC Audio kit, in particular the DK series horns?

Obviously I need to see if the usual UK distributors with whom we have trade accounts can supply this brand. It appears there's some connection with Sennheiser, as there is a price list (presumably retail) on Senny's NL site. http://www.sennheiser.com/nl/icm_nl.nsf/resources/ICA.pdf/$File/ICA.pdf

Before browsing these, I was considering TOA's CS-304, however the IC Audio DK-MH 30/T Plus is way ahead on performance (albeit probably around 3 x times the cost of the TOA)

Any other recommendations for a loud, high quality outdoor BGM & paging horn?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

I haven't come across ic - audio as a brand, but I have come across those model of speakers branded as Penton. In fact I just installed two of them today :D.

As an installation speaker they are ideal, small, light and a high IP rating but I would not reccomend them for hire use purely due to the fact that they are fiberglass

and definately would not stand up to the rigors of constant moving and hacking.

The brackets are also very flimsy and while they have a range of different taps they are not easily accessible for "on the go" adjustments.

As I'm sure your aware the TOA TH650 reflex horn with the appropriate driver is regarded as the industry standard for hire stock. ( At least in this neck of the woods )

We have a large strock of them and have always found them great even for certain music applications.

As long as you have a decent mixer for EQ its not hard making them sound good.

http://www.toa.jp/products/pa_speakers/horn_speakers_separate/th-650.html

I've never heard a horn that sounds good on music. It's not really a design requirement - if you want music quality with a balanced frequency response, I'd suggest maybe conventional cabinets. Horns are good for directivity and intelligibility. Conventional cabinets are smoother and wider. I'm not sure any horn is much cop for background music of anything better than honky quality?

Could this be merged with the Oxymoron thread please? :)

On a more serious note. I have used IC stuff before, I was suitably impressed, for background music at low levels at fairly close range (within 100feet or so) they reproduced music fairly well I thought. Added to their ability to rip your eyes out for speech related stuff at 1000feet and you can't really complain. Sadly I can't give any info on what models they were as I didn't look but we used 2 different models, a smaller one (about 20 of them infact) that were sort of go on the roof of a car size, and about half a dozen that were as big as the roof of a car.

Rob

Archived