Hoisting Mac 600

cmccabe

as an aside. Will why on earth are you wearing a harness in a tallescope !!

TM

Because the harness is clipped onto the hoist bar not the tallie basket, my rescue plan being that if for some reason the tallie should topple I'm on a short line to a secure bar, hopefully with the ability to reach a point of safety like one of the gantries no more than 2 metres away. It makes me feel more comfortable anyway.

It's amazing how short a period of time you can dangle in a harness without suffering serious damage or even death.

There is simply no excuse for working alone.

Precisely why I had some lovely riggers come and install me two trusses on motor winches, glad to say my working at height hours are drastically reduced.

Nope, no excuse, just no alternative.

*cough* weren't we talking about the point of manual hoists?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the topic of the original question, I myself have used a manual chain hoist to rig 600's onto a static bar. This is because I often work alone so I have no groundsman to hold the weight while I climb the Tallescope.

The manual chain block must be half the weight of a Mac - by the time you've rigged that you might as well be half way through the job you're rigging it for. Still silly imo - excessively complex and laborious imo and still better to hoist with a rope. If you're not in a position to hold the load yourself you just need a hauling system that will do it for you, which could be as simple as using a Petzl Pro-Traxion or similar as a top pulley.

I see why you're trying to clutch at some straw or other to justify it - but unless you got your lovely motorised bars rated for the sudden shock load of umpteen stones of you increasing the loading at one point, it could be a quick way of finding out the weak parts. Big firms trying to save money never make people work aloft on their own - there is always a safety person.

Because the harness is clipped onto the hoist bar not the tallie basket, my rescue plan being that if for some reason the tallie should topple I'm on a short line to a secure bar, hopefully with the ability to reach a point of safety like one of the gantries no more than 2 metres away. It makes me feel more comfortable anyway.

Maybe you could self-rescue that way, maybe not. Either way, that isn't a rescue plan. A rescue plan is one that still works when the person doing the dangling is incapacitated and unable to take an active part in the rescue.

To be honest though, if you genuinely feel the need to wear a harness while you're up a tallescope, something somewhere is wrong and you shouldn't be up there.

For what reason might the talle topple? Really, the only acceptable answer to that is "no reason, no reason at all, it ain't going to happen".

"Because I'm leaning a bit too far out of the basket" is an example of a clearly unacceptable answer to that question - and presents a problem to which wearing a harness is not the solution.

I think you'll find that the notion of working by yourself doe happen alot depending on the work needed, who you work for and the venue or place.

It seems that the manual chain hoist is great for doing solo rigging as I've done this a good few times with moving heads. The rope and pulley is great for fast jobs with more techs on board.

<sighs>

Another plus 1 here from me.

Will, as already said there is NO excuse for 'having' to work alone.

Even when I'm working in the am-dram world it's a standing house RULE that NO-ONE works at any appreciable height without a buddy there 100% of the time they're up the ladder/scaff/talle/whatever.

Our usual one for generics is we use a 4 meter tallescope our rig is pretty low, we hang the lights on the tallescope platform and then pick the light up when were on the platform and rig it... this isnt ideal but it is how our H+S guy wants us to rig the lights.

I really am intrigued to know exactly what this means...Kingstech has been online since we started asking, but has yet to reply to us..!

also, id have thought wearing a harness while going up / down and working in a 'scope would create MORE of a hazard anyway.

Its tight enough climbing up and down and clambering into the basket and I still sometimes get my t-shirt caught on something (another rip...grr) - so with all the bits and bobs on a harness....

If the outriggers are out properly, then the probability factor of a topple is going to be millions to 1. TBH, I would take that risk rather than using a harness on a scope.

wasnt the same sort of thing discussed about going up and down a ladder - and the harness can actually create more of a hazard ?

WILL, I think your panic button idea is good.

Your venue is in a school isnt it ? Cant you just get a student to be groundsman while your up in the air! They dont have to be trained in anything do they. Just the common sense to stay clear while you working at height and then raise the alarm if you ever got into trouble.

Absolutely gobsmacked at some recent posts from the Health & Safety point of view so thought I'd throw my two quids worth in, working alone at height... might as well have 2 or 3 pints before you start as well, would work out to be the same disregard for good working practice. With regard to the original post we work on the principle that if you can't easily & safely lift, push, carry, hoist or otherwise move or use what you need to by yourself then ASK for some help, theres no shame in it & most people are more than willing to help rather than see someone struggle or get hurt. Reading posts like this make me wonder just how widespread the push for safer working practices really is or are we just seeing training being pushed out for profit to those of us who think its a good thing & for those who don't take up the training etc its just a case of so what, we've got the other guys money!

Our usual one for generics is we use a 4 meter tallescope our rig is pretty low, we hang the lights on the tallescope platform and then pick the light up when were on the platform and rig it... this isnt ideal but it is how our H+S guy wants us to rig the lights.

I really am intrigued to know exactly what this means...Kingstech has been online since we started asking, but has yet to reply to us..!

Our rig at school is about 4.5 meters from ground level, sorry I have been calling it the wrong thing, its an Esca 3000, not a tallescope. On the Esca 3000 it has a metal platform where you stand with edges on them, we usually hang the G clamp on the front of the platform, climb the ladder and on the way up pick the lantern up as we get on to the platform and then rig it. I would rather, now, use what people have suggested on here and use a hoist for them.

What is there that makes you intrigued?

Geez That Esca thing looks scarier than a Tallie!!! why is it steerable from up there?

Anyway we use rope to lug our Mac 600's, Robe 1200's up and down and use at least 4 people. We use a long rope through the handles leaving the two trailing ends for two people to lift and we try and get two people ready to receive it at the bar or use our 2 man genie if its availablehttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif but a couple of times due to lack of incompetance by the people on the rope not paying attention during the de-rig we've had a heaving swinging lump of lampy equipment knocking us around at height NOT COOL!

Archived