What to do

topsy100

Right chaps I need some advice. I have around £2000 to spend on LED kit what would you choose:

12 of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par64_pro_36x3w_long_b.htm

2 lots of these from china http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290419745273&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5825wt_1139

or 5 of these Chauvet COLORado 1 TOUR RGBW @ £400 each including vat

I have also been looking at LED moving heads

Just dont know what to do for the best. They are to go into my hire stock and will be used as eye candy and also to light shows where I dont have power.

Cheers

Tim

Well for a start, If you were going for the American dj ones (the eBay link) I would buy from a uk supplier rather than eBay, just because it will make repairs easier and any problems can be sorted directly...

Personally I like the COLOURado's, and if you think 5 would be enough coverage (around a room for example) then that would be my first choice.

If you think that you would want more, to dot about the place, then the Stairville offerings from thomann have also worked well for me a number of occasions.

It definatly is a tough one, but having a think about how and where they will be used will be a massive benefit

because they are going into hire stock its hard to say what coverage will be required. I agree with the ebay comment as had a bad china experience before Didnt know they were LEDJ though so thats a help.

For quality and the fact that they have a white LED in the cluster the chauvet are very good but I cant get many for my money.

any one got any alternatives?

cheers

Well, having just invested a significant amount of theatre's cash in a range of LED kit, I have to say that I'll not be buying ANY basic LED par cans again any time soon.

The Chauvet Colorado Tri TOUR lanterns we have in now as permanent side washes are excellent. The fact that theyr'e tri-colour LEDs as well makes for a MUCH cleaner beam colour.

Almost as good, and a cheaper (though slightly bulkier) tri-colour lantern are the LEDJ omni options. Slightly wider wash, and dimmer curve stil has a very slight flicker at low levels on slow fades, but I can live with that.

And if you go to the right supplier I'm sure you WILL get more than 5 of either of these for less than your two grand...

Another point though - we've discussed these and other LED options in depth already, so it may be that the mods will want to merge this one.....

Didnt know they were LEDJ though so thats a help.

Sorry. Just to clarify, I think I misread the eBay link one, and looking at the photos, I don't think they are LEDJ ones... Could be wrong.

However LEDJ stuff seems to be okay

Well for a start, If you were going for the American dj ones (the eBay link) I would buy from a uk supplier rather than eBay, just because it will make repairs easier and any problems can be sorted directly...

Didnt know they were LEDJ though so thats a help.

Sorry. Just to clarify, I think I misread the eBay link one, and looking at the photos, I don't think they are LEDJ ones... Could be wrong.

However LEDJ stuff seems to be okay

The LED Cans in the eBay listing are no brand whatsoever. I have bought from this seller in the past, quality was questionable.

The American DJ reference in the title is just ot lure buyers who serch for American DJ.

I'm bored in conference in ExCel at the moment, but I'm uplighting bits of the set with Colorado Tour 1s at the moment. I believe these are different than the TRI Tours, as these have single colour LEDs, as opposed to the tri-colour LEDS like Ynots.

Positives:

I've been impressed with the output from them. They are good and punchy. They seem very rugged. Good, well made casings and sturdy connections. - Powercon in and out is a nice touch. Menu options make them versatile in terms of control parameters and also stand-alone functionality. The white LED is helpful! Colours seem to be very well matched between fixtures.

Negatives:

The colour homogenisation on this model is not great. Corporate colour on this job is a yellowy-amber, and these units can't give me a good colour without a streak of green up the edge of the beam. They are very narrow. - Great for me on this job, but perhaps limiting if you wanted to use them for cover with a short throw distance.

I hope that helps a little bit!

Neil

right I am probably being quite thick here but if say had a 36 x 3w RGB 12 red 12 green 12 blue and turned them all on would that be brighter than a 24 x 3w TRI LED RGB. I read this two ways either on the 24 x 3w I get 24 x 3w of red green and blue or I get 24 x 1w of red green blue. if thats the case then the 36 x 3w is brighter is it not?

Just on top of that I notice that the tri led units seem to have a wider beam angle which for theatre work may be better but does this make them less punchy?

cheers

A 3W 'tri' LED will mean 3x1W. So, yes, theoretically it isn't as bright. Usually that's the trade-off with the multi-colour LED's but I wouldn't get too hung up on power. To all intents and purposes they will probably all be very similar. Personally, wherever possible I would choose the combined types.

Wider beam angle will be at the expense of intensity.

Just bought 24 of these... http://www.sfxdistribution.co.uk/products/ip500-1000.htm chinese manufacted rgbwa fixtures. looked at a load of units and the results as far as I could see was that... There is no such thing as an industry standard LED unit, If you want to use it for lighting rather than just eyecandy you need more than rgb and the colour fringing caused by seperate LEDs is fairly noticable. The ones ive got seem to do the job and there are a good range of pastels and cold - warm whites available, they are fairly average 30w rgb fixtures with the addition of 30ws each of amber and cold white.

Id beware the EBAY units as they are "american Lighting Dj" rather than the well known budget brand "American DJ". Id guess that these look superficially similar, but are perhalps not made from the finest of components. If you want cheepo stuff at least if you buy it from Thoman with their "stairville" or CPC with LEDdj, Its going to get sorted out if it breaks.

thanks for all your help so far chaps I will let you know what I end up with. At the moment it would seem that tri leds will be best for theater although the addition of white and/or amber led's would seem an advantage.

Archived