Best CD-R blanks...

revbobuk

Folks - we've got a Tascam CD-RW900 (the earlier version, before the slot loading mechanism) and it seems rather fussy about media. We've been using HHB blanks from Studiospares which are supposed to be optimised for audio recording, which obviously is at a much slower data rate than CD-R media is usually written. But they've been failing regularly, with no obvious pattern. Anyone had success with other types? We aren't limited to CD-R audio, as the writer is a pro unit. But we do want to find something that works reliably.

The instruction book seems to imply that printable CDs are also frowned upon - the HHB blanks are printable - but that seems just unlikely. Any experience of that?

Help would be appreciated!

Our Church has got the exact same model as you and all we use is Tesco's own brand of CD-R's and we've never had a failure.

We buy them in tubs of 100 from our local store.

Have you run a cleaning disk through your machine?

David

Cleaning disk, plus we've tried most brands of CD-R. Sometimes it seems to be heat dependent; if we run the machine for an hour before recording it seems more reliable. Other times it's just unpredictable.

They're a b****r to open up completely - I've done this a couple of times. I appreciate the cleaning suggestions, but it was really the relative merits of various blank CDs I was after.

I'd suggest Taiyo Yuden discs as you can be sure of who makes them. HHB just rebrand other people's discs so you could end up with problems if they change supplier. I buy my Taiyo Yuden discs from http://www.cvbmedia.co.uk.

One other thought... could the laser in your recorder simply be wearing out? They don't last forever. A good way to check this is to find someone with a Plextor drive that has support for low level error checking and test one of the discs written by the recorder. An even better test would be to compare a disc written when the recorder was new with a disc written now.

James.

+1 for Taiyo Yuden.

A recording based forum I visit does regular blank CD shoot outs and they always come top.

HOWEVER...

Taiyo Yuden recently bought out JVC and they plan to start selling their blanks with a JVC label. Details HERE.

Bob

The smart computer-type people I know all swear by Taiyo Yuden. They're dropping data on the discs, not audio, but the reliability criteria is probably the most important which doesn't differ at all.

I had one of these at a church I used to be involved with. It worked for a few months then threw hissy fits no matter what blanks it was fed. It went back to the supplier, had a new laser and then 6 months later started the same tricks.

It got replaced...

My CD recorders at work get the same data blanks that we get for all other uses in the department, usually the cheapest brand name (imation, memorex etc) blanks on amazon at the time of purchase. Never had a single reject.

I had one of these at a church I used to be involved with. It worked for a few months then threw hissy fits no matter what blanks it was fed. It went back to the supplier, had a new laser and then 6 months later started the same tricks.

It got replaced...

My CD recorders at work get the same data blanks that we get for all other uses in the department, usually the cheapest brand name (imation, memorex etc) blanks on amazon at the time of purchase. Never had a single reject.

Jon - got replaced with what, out of interest?

Now that I can't remember. Just recognised the symptoms so googled the model and recognised it.

Not Tascam as far as I remember. Maybe a HHB Burn it, but it was replaced as I moved on.

That said we have a CDRW900 at my current place of work, its been there for ages and has worked fine since it was bought...

Archived