Roboscan 518

bealem

And if it's the shutter steppers in a 518, good luck in getting the steppers removed from the plate they mount onto. Where they're right alongside the lamp, in an old unit with not great cooling, and possibly having done 3 billion hours, you may well find they've virtually welded themselves on. However, one little tip is that if you don't want to pay new prices for steppers it may be cheaper to track down some old Robocolor 2s as they use the same motor and sell for very little nowadays.

or buy a dremel, open the motors, use the wire brush attachment to remove the iron filings from the armature, use the barrel sander drum to smooth the laminated core residue, clean and clean again with a toothbrush to remove all the dust then use indennatured alcahol to clean the bearings and all the other parts, re-assemble, and you will find the motor works like new.

just been out sorting them out. one of the units powers up, lamp strikes and works with DMX no problem appart from the gobo wheel. It contiuntally spins and I cannot control it. Any ideas

Also another unit is being awkward and not following commands I.e if I change all units to open white apart from one which stays on pink - reset the unit and its fine for a bit

Also another unit is being awkward and not following commands I.e if I change all units to open white apart from one which stays on pink - reset the unit and its fine for a bit

This could be a couple of things. If it fixes itself after a reset then it could be the colour wheel sensor is dirty (if 518's have sensors). If it loses position all the time then it could be that the motor is on the way out. It could also be that the wheel is grinding against another part of the unit assembly (ie gobo wheel)and just needs re-aligned

just been out sorting them out. one of the units powers up, lamp strikes and works with DMX no problem apart from the gobo wheel. It continually spins and I cannot control it. Any ideas

Either you have got a bit of dust onto the sensor (Looks like a Black U, SHARP brand From memory), The multi pin plug has wiggled loose, or its dodgy sensor, and needs replacing, there was a thread on here where someone found where to get new ones cheaply.

And if it's the shutter steppers in a 518, good luck in getting the steppers removed from the plate they mount onto. Where they're right alongside the lamp, in an old unit with not great cooling, and possibly having done 3 billion hours, you may well find they've virtually welded themselves on. However, one little tip is that if you don't want to pay new prices for steppers it may be cheaper to track down some old Robocolor 2s as they use the same motor and sell for very little nowadays.

I found that it wasn't the actual stepper motors being welded to the steel mounting plate? It was actually the shutter blades that were welded to the shafts of the stepper motor! Ended up breaking one in the process of getting the thing off, and in my experience they bend very very easily.

Ashley R - you are of course right when you say the problem is getting the shutter blades removed from the shaft. Whoops, my memory's faulty.

Gobo and colour problem sounds to me very like a common 518 problem where the wheel has been removed from the shaft then refitted but not correctly aligned on the shaft. Bit difficlt to explain how to fix it on an open forum as it involves running the unit with the covers off and hence nasty voltages around...

Sure we've discussed this before on here (or possibly UKSLC) but quick search and I couldn't find on either.

Martyn, if you happen to be heading up the A303 from Exeter for any reason I'd be happy to have a quick look (central Hampshire). I happily accept doughnuts instead of proper payment for little jobs that only take a few minutes.

Mark

Gobo and colour problem sounds to me very like a common 518 problem where the wheel has been removed from the shaft then refitted but not correctly aligned on the shaft. Bit difficult to explain how to fix it on an open forum as it involves running the unit with the covers off and hence nasty voltages around...

Mark

When I used to own a set of 5 (all not working), when I had the Gobo/Colour wheel off, to make sure it was in the right place, I tried to locate the mark on the shaft where the screw was, and tried to line it up with that, and generally the wheel was dead center of the sensor, never had any problems with refitting either wheel, after multiple dis assembly's - after a while I just gave up and sold them off (At a tidy profit :** laughs out loud **: )

I was not concerned so much with the nasty voltages, but more the UV burns from the Lamp.

As if memory serves me correct, a feed off the transformer goes to the main circuit board up the top of the fixture, with all the high voltages being down the bottom of the fixture. But I think I might be wrong about this, and there might be a 240v feed going direct to the board.

Archived