Starville MH-X50 LED spot from Thomann

whitehousejamie

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_mh_x50_led_spot_50_watt_led.htm

I am thinking about buying 4 or 6 of the above units to try out.

Firstly, has anyone had chance to try these units yet, and if so how do you find them?

Am I likely to find a better spec'd LED unit for that price?

Finally, I assume that I will need to change the plugs on the units, will this invalidate the rather attractive 3 year warranty?

Many thanks

Thanks for that.

I have just had a look at the photographs of the unit and it has a Euro inlet, so that's good news.

I just wonder whether they will compete against MSD250 heads and how good Thomann are with handling warranty claims should I need to send a unit back?

Thanks

I just wonder whether they will compete against MSD250 heads...

It won't no matter what they claim.

and how good Thomann are with handling warranty claims should I need to send a unit back?

Pretty good, I used the service a few times.

I don't have the exact unit in question, but a 50w LED will pack a punch!

Ive seen 4x Chauvet Q Spot 260's with a 60w LED easily work next to PR Solo 250's, with almost no difference in the beam quality and intensity. the PR Solo 250's were loaded with almost Brand new (maybe 100-200hrs max) MSD 250/2 Phillips Lamps.

And I have got ADJ X scan LED's with a 20w LED in them, and they have a comparable output to a 150w Discharge (Martin MX-4).

So dependant on what your using them for 50w should be plenty/ direct replacements for a MSD 250 fixture.

From what I've heard here on the BR, Thomann's warranty is top notch, even paying for postage/return postage for an faulty item that was purchased and shipped to New Zealand!

Also after having a look on the Thomann website, this fixture has a IEC input, so just buy a new IEC power lead with the appropriate plug on it, so if you do need to send it back, you can just send it back with its original lead.

This looks almost identical to the aptly named "Giant LED Moving Head" from Showtec / Highlite but that has a 20W light source in it - which they claim to be equivalent output to a 250W halogen so it's certainly believable that this MAY be able to compete with a 250W discharge source - depends on more than the light source itself though.

Some of the current Chauvet and Showtec offerings (like the 60W Qspot 260 and Indigo 4500) certainly can compete with the lower end MSD250 based movers. (In the interests of full disclosure I do occasionally resell Highlite kit)

Archived