Mains Birdies

benweblight

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that virtually all birdies are low voltage are they not and most of the time use GU10 lamps??? So were the birdie transformers just on the 15amp plugs or other form mains plugs? Or are they ones using very small transformers that you think they are main voltage (I’ve seen very small transformers but I didn’t think anyone had put them in a birdie)? Or as tomchennells said on bases which include the transformers?

Scenemaster (slightly confused ;) )

I was helping out on a show the other day that had main birdies

where can I get thease from?

Firstly. if they were using low voltage lamps it really isn't a very good idea to use 15A plugs for obvious reasons!

However, you can get mains voltage 50mm lamps to fit in a Birdie (go to any hardware store and you will see them), but most people don't use them as the lamp life isn't very good, the light output is appalling and most birdie cans aren't designed for mains voltage operation.

Andy

Thought so… I knew you could get some mains birdies (although quite rare) but with low voltage birdies with small dimmable transformers which produce better results why would you want to get the mains birdies! Yep not a good idea putting 15amp plugs on a low voltage birdie directly (I meant the transformers earlier) the ones I have worked with used XLR connections from the transformer to lamp and some low voltage cable (not sound or DMX cable!!!).

Scenemaster

One my local venues has got a load of mains voltage birdies. They have a mains plug directly attached with no transformer necessary. Unfortunately I've no idea where they came from.

The mains lamp base (which looks like a fluorescent starter) is totally different from the low voltage lamp base (pins). Its therefore not possible to use a low voltage can with a mains voltage lamp or vice-versa.

Marc

I thought that virtually all birdies are low voltage are they not and most of the time use GU10 lamps???

Low voltage birdies use MR16 lamps. Mains one use GU10.

You can also get PAR20 birdies for mains powered 50W PAR20 lamps, with an ES base.

The mains lamp base (which looks like a fluorescent starter)

Yep, GU10 lamps.

...but with low voltage birdies with small dimmable transformers which produce better results why would you want to get the mains birdies!

Because you don't need a transformer and all the problems of putting that transformer into an enclosure which meets with appropriate safety measures.

Unfortunately I've no idea where they came from.

IIRC it's someone like TMB but their website is not very easy to find anything on.

Sorry,

Half asleep when writing my last posts ;) , I was thinking MR16, but having just changed a whole load of GU10 50watts in several ceiling working lights for the Technical Box I must have somehow got it imprinted on my brain! Valid point Brian about the transformers needing to be a specifically ratted enclosure but it must be possible to by some high IP rated dimmable transformers. Although I suppose for outside events it is better to have mains or is it?

Scenemaster

Makes sense to have them IEC so you don’t get confused if they were low voltage going to a transformer would make you think twice when connecting but better with low voltage connectors. These were mains voltage (were they not?) so could use 15amp but then IEC connection are far smaller which is good if you only have short leads on them and look a lot neater when on the front of a stage than a big chunky 15amp plug and line socket… :stagecrew:

EDIT: ALL LOW VOLTAGE LIGHT FITTINGS OUGHT FOR SAFETY REASONS BE FITTED WITH NON-MAINS CONNECTORS BETWEEN THE TRANSFORMER AND THE FITTING

Unfortunately I've no idea where they came from.

IIRC it's someone like TMB but their website is not very easy to find anything on.

Sounds like you may mean TLC Electrical Supplies - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk - clunky website, nice printed catalogue, good selection of electrical stuff, I bought a load of stuff from them when I was rewiring the house....

Bruce.

Makes sense to have them IEC so you don’t get confused if they were low voltage going to a transformer would make you think twice when connecting but better with low voltage connectors. 

An IEC connector is a mains connector and as such should never be used for any other purpose. The chances you, or someone who doesn't understand what you have done, getting it wrong is unacceptable.

There are going to be earthing issues if you convert 'normal' Birdies from 50v to 230v.

Makes sense to have them IEC so you don’t get confused if they were low voltage going to a transformer would make you think twice when connecting but better with low voltage connectors. 

An IEC connector is a mains connector and as such should never be used for any other purpose.  The chances you, or someone who doesn't understand what you have done, getting it wrong is unacceptable.

I know hence why I said low voltage ones are better. I have never used a birdie which is low voltage without either a crimp connection between the transformer and the birdie, low voltage connector such as XLR or having them wired directly to the transformer. IEC would make you think twice if you work with lighting and in the industry to check if they are low voltage (well I would anyway). What I mean is that you are more likely to check hence “think twice†about the voltages with IEC connections on a birdie than 15amp. Although you are playing a very dangerous game, as someone could accidentally plug it up to mains with potentially very serious results. Therefore I will edit my last post to make this clearer… :stagecrew:

There are going to be earthing issues if you convert 'normal' Birdies from 50v to 230v.

Why would you wish to change/convert a LV designed birdie to mains apart from earthing issues won’t the fixture not be designed for the heat produced by mains as I would have thought this would be far greater. Doesn’t this also make the fitting un-safe in the in the view of health and safety as it won’t be used in the way it was designed to be.

ALL LOW VOLTAGE LIGHT FITTINGS OUGHT FOR SAFETY REASONS BE FITTED WITH NON-MAINS CONNECTORS BETWEEN THE TRANSFORMER AND THE FITTING

Archived