chavet colorado batten 72 or similar

AHYoung

currently looking at replacing some led battons, has anyone had experience of the chavet colorado product? http://www.chauvetli...en-72-tour.html Basically looking at a vaquely Pro product and these might fit the bill, but id be interested to here if anyones used them and if there are any issues or usefull features. also interested if anyones got suggestions for a similar spec product...

I've recently written a fair amount here about - amongst other kit - the Chauvet Colorado Tri TOUR fixtures we've had for around 3 months now. They are - for the money - a cracking product. Of course these are single spot fixtures, and I've not used the batten versions, but I would suggest that they're certainly WELL worth a serious look.

Addendum - having just had a quick look at the Chauvet site and this product (after reading Ross' comment below) I'll modify my assessment thus - the Colorado fixtures we have are as mentioned the Tri-TOUR spots which use a tri-colour LED arrangement which means you don't get that colour fringing. These battens are separate LED sources for the RGB mix, so yes that will be an issue for close-working. However, that doesn't decry the value for money I'd suspect this range has.

I believe these are the same as the Showtec Spectral CYC2000, which I've had a look at (but not used in production) and was quite impressed with. The colour mixing on them is good but you will see some slightly colour fringing if used close to the surface you're washing and obviously the multi coloured shadow effect...

It all comes down to how you intend to use it - you're not too far away I could probably get hold of a couple and bring them to your venue if you wanted to have a closer look. PM me if you want :)

In the interests of full disclosure I resell some Highlite kit, and have been considering purchasing a couple of these (CYC2000) units for more evaluation and possible use in a small venue myself.

I've just bought 5 units. I haven't got them yet, but Stage Electrics were kind enough to loan me 5 demo units for the last week and a half for our production of Fame. This was after Ed Gamble of Stage Electrics came up to our venue to give me a demo of the Colorados against the Selador Vivid Ice units. Whilst the Selador units won out on depth and intensity of the blues, the coverage was very poor. They would be fine used as a spot or special, but not for washes. The Colorados not only gave a much better spread of light (stated as 30 degrees), but also gave a larger spectral range of rich, intense colours, and at half the price of the Selador units, there was no difficulty in coming to a decision.

Obviously these units are not intended for the same type of use, but it was an interesting comparison.

Along with the RGBWA colour mixing, you also get strobe effects and various other macro programmes built in. They do exhibit a central, more intense area of illumination though, with a surrounding 'halo' of less intense colour. There was virtually no noticeable multi-coloured shadowing.

With 5 units providing a backwash of light across our 7.5m wide stage, and with the grid only 4m above the stage, I was able to get total, very intense coverage of the stage and could possibly even have done it with 4 units.

I have used some of the smaller ColorBattens with I think 24 RGB led's.

They are very good products, extremely bright and if I remember correctly, interchangeable focus?

A brilliant little unit!

Archived