LED GU10's

Jamtastic3

Hi BR,

I have a row of a dozen GU10 birdies 7ft from the ground lighting a corridor with a width of 5ft

I'd like to change these to LED but which wattage should I be looking for and what type of LED module? 3w/5w/9w? Cluster LED's or one single LED?

Warm white would be best with a good beam angle output. The birdies are non dimmable.

Cheers!

Ive bought a few for various reasons, unfortuntaly the beam angle on the LEDs seems to be quite poor.

avoid the cluster type, these are old tech and very little usable light, the better ones I have have 3 LEDs in them

http://www.ledmodulechina.com/images/GU10.jpg

this type.

I dont have any single chip ones, so cant comment.

some of the more expensive ones are avaliable in 60degree lamps.

I would suggest going down to a wholesaler and seeing what they have, the dimensions are not all the same as standard GU10s, so they may/may not fit in your birdies I would also be concerend with some of the higher powered units with the heat sink being completely enclosed in the birdies.

Tom summed it up very well there, I have a few of the three 1W chip LEDs mentioned. When compared next to a single chip 3W, the three 1W chips seems slightly brighter but also a cooler colour temperature.

I also have the rather expensive Phillips version which retails at about £20 but you can tell the difference in light output, still not as bright as a 50W halogen but would be hard to tell apart from a 35W halogen. I was quite amazed at how well they manage the heat, with no noticeable drop in light output when soak tested for 24hrs.

I have seen places where the cheapo Chinese ones have been used & enquired how long they have lasted. Most say about 20% fail after 3 months of use of 10 hours a day.

Regards,

Ben Wainwright

...Cross topic you know when your a technician for too long when you comment about the lighting rather than the food in a restaurant!

Cheap LED GU10s are most unlikely to be satisfactory in either light output or life.

As posted above, the Phillips ones are good, but expect to pay IRO £20 each.

I have had good results with the one sold by International Lamps, 5 watts I think. There are only slightly cheaper than the Phillips ones at about £18 each.

I have had some in use for over a year, 24/7 with only 1 failure out of about 30 in use. Available in warm white which I would judge to be 3000K and cool white which I would judge to be 6000K. The cool white are brighter, but the warm white are still impressive.

They also sell 12 volt MR16 versions, price and performance similar.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It seems that warm white 5w LED GU10's are on par with only 35w halogen GU10's. Going up to 6 or 7w I guess would be better but the GU10's seem larger in size.

Would most LED GU10's fit in the birdies?

The LED lamps that I have tried are the same length as the halogen ones, and have the same front face diamater, but are very slightly wider at the shoulder of the lamp.

If in doubt, I would buy just one and try it.

• 1 year later...

Archived