H&S Precautions at Height

Ali2580

Then as an employee and now, as a self-employed person, I am both employer and employed.

Besides all other duty of care I have one specifically to myself as an employee, wierd but true. Technically speaking a self-employed person failing to train himself adequately in H&S could be prosecuted even after suffering somewhat tragic consequences.

http://www.building....3144857.article

Is that what you meant, Junior?

Sorry Kerry I should have put are you an employee of the venue?

It seemed to me that if he was a volunteer/employee with a user/hirer, or indeed the hirer himself he'd probably be better off asking the venue staff to do the work for him. This is not merely a technical point. There is one producing house near here which, I understand, will simply not allow any old visiting fireman, no matter how experienced to work on the bridges unless trained - and I quote - 'only trained staff inducted into our working practices may access the grid'. The venue should have in place a safe and evaluated method for accessing these booms by ladder or failing that a prohibition on that - if they haven't then it isn't up to someone not employed by the venue to sort it out!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we not getting away from Ali's original question?

Knowing the venue he's refering to and the attitude of one member of staff in particular, I can sympathise.

The comment about carrying out a (simple) risk assessment is the obvious route and the comment about "clueless" refers to various members of staff in the premises not understanding about stages, lighting, how the two interact and what steps need to be taken for that to happen.

Ali, I can supply you with a copy of the Council's official Risk Assessment sheet and guidance if you want and, since I'm one of the Council's trained Risk Assessors, we could possibly *cough* come to an arrangement *cough*?

I could possibly also come up with my Department's Safe Working Practice document for Working at Height if it would help? I'm not in Education, but it might be a help.

Ali, I can supply you with a copy of the Council's official Risk Assessment sheet and guidance if you want and, since I'm one of the Council's trained Risk Assessors, we could possibly *cough* come to an arrangement *cough*?

I could possibly also come up with my Department's Safe Working Practice document for Working at Height if it would help? I'm not in Education, but it might be a help.

PM has been sent to Joe.

Thanks for all the replies.

Archived