Got my EuroLite ML64 MultiPars

Alec

Following on from this thread, my 8 x MultiPars turned up today. Had the bummer of going to the distant DHL depot as they wouldn't redeliver to my work address without the senders permission and Thomann wouldn't do that - but at least I have the name/number of the person at DHL who will now do that for me. Still waiting for the 2 x ShowTec MultiDims, though. But original delivery in only 5 days!

Back to the lights, they certinainly look and feel the biz and don't feel cheap and nasty. In fact they look far better made than the DTS 1K theatre spots I got at the same time.

And they *do* take the HPL575 lamps, which I took a punt on and ordered at the same time. To bigin with I thought it wouldn't fit, but there's a bit of metalwork bolted on to the lampholder that stops the lamp's heatsink from fitting. But take off this (via a couple of screws) and it fits in a treat, and you can see how the rest of the casing is designed for this lamp to fit in perfectly. So I think they've been forced to add this piece on as part of litigation (as discussed earlier).

And it does say here that they take the HPL575 lamps. And the instruction manual does say "For the installation, you need one HPL575 240V/575W lamp"

Haven't played about with all the lenses yet, and they're certainly a fiddle to put in (don't think I'd feel safe doing this with the lantern rigged), but they're bright buggers for 575W consumption.

So that's £60 for a cracking, efficient lantern with lamp - bargain!

More feedback to follow...

Well done!,

I hope you have as much success with them as I did. I got 2 to start with, absolutely loved 'em, and ordered 6 more. I regularly use them in every show, still on the original lamps (HPL) have fitted the widest lens, and never needed to change them since.

I have lit 10 shows with them in the last 2 years, and they are superb.

>>Back to the lights, they certinainly look and feel the biz and don't feel cheap and nasty. In fact they look far better made than the DTS 1K theatre spots I got at the same time.<<

Lets have some comment on the DTS spots then, fresnel or PC, please?

>>Haven't played about with all the lenses yet, and they're certainly a fiddle to put in (don't think I'd feel safe doing this with the lantern rigged), but they're bright buggers for 575W consumption.<<

Whats the gel frame size compared to a PAR 64, if you can guess where this is heading, how does the lock off feel?

Wondering if they will take a `64 scroller directly on the front or whether some metal bashing to make adaptor plates would be needed, specifically:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-168971.html

>>So that's £60 for a cracking, efficient lantern with lamp - bargain!

More feedback to follow...<<

How narrow is narrow spot lens as well, would they make an adequate ACL look?

Thanks for the review so far.

Lets have some comment on the DTS spots then,  fresnel or PC, please?
They're OK, but not the instant hit that the MultiPars were. The Multipars are just well built and excellent straight from the box. The DTS spots feel a little tinny, but do the job. And I went for the fresnel lens BTW.

The light output from the DTS spots appears quite a bit less with 650W lamps than the HPL575 equipped MultiPARs. I was expecting lower output, but there's a lot less. Did get me wondering if I could use HPL575s in the DTS spots as they'll fit in there and the filament would still be in the same position. Any opinions? I've fired a mail off to DTS customer support to see what they think. (Yes, I know I could use 1,000W lamps in there, but those circuits are a little low on power, and I like the idea of having a single lamp to stock for both lanterns plus the 1,500h burn time of the HPLs).

Bear in mind I don't have a lighting heritage, so can't relate these lanterns to other standard brands. My partner in crime on this project is LD at a local theatre, so we'll be reviewing the lanterns together tomorrow with a more professional reference.

Whats the gel frame size  compared to a PAR 64, if you can guess where this is heading, how does the lock off feel?
I'll have a measure tonight. Again I can't compare with a PAR64, but I can give you dimensions of the frame - and presumably the "thickness" that could be acommodated.

Again, hard to compare, but it was the wide flood that took my attention, it lights a huge space incredibly well.

I'll try and take some photos over the weekend.

Again, hard to compare, but it was the wide flood that took my attention, it lights a huge space incredibly well.

I'll try and take some photos over the weekend.

Well, IIRC a Source4 Par with a clear lens give you a beam angle of about 15 degrees. So assuming these rip-offs ... sorry, copies ... sorry, alternatives ;) have similar optics then I guess that's what you can expect. So you won't get something that can compare with an ACL, but it'll certainly give you a nice punchy narrow beam.

Whats the gel frame size compared to a PAR 64
I'll have a measure tonight. Again I can't compare with a PAR64, but I can give you dimensions of the frame - and presumably the "thickness" that could be acommodated.
Assuming the lantern is the same size as a S4 Par and all the other 'copies' I've played with, it'll be a 185x185mm frame off the top of my head. Very similar, if not exactly the same, as a Cantata or Sil frame. Can't remember exactly ;)

So in order to get a Par-plated scroller in there, you'd have to be a miracle worker - so getting some right sized plates would help no end.

HTH

Stu

It's still the same voltage that it's always been. AIUI, they just moved to calling it 230v rather than 240v, and widened the tolerances considerably so that the existing 240v-ish supply voltage fell within tolerance. Sneaky, huh? ;)

I've just checked, and as I type this there are 245 fine Welsh volts coming out of my wall ....

I might be wrong but I believe that the tolerances are asymetrical as in something like 230v + 20% - 10%.

Of course the effect of that is it now seems like everything is built with a switched mode power supply capable of running from 100v -> 250v

Lovely clean mains that is going to produce.

James

Gareth

Are really sure your volts are Welsh, they are just as likely to be Scottish or even French.

Brian

That's very true - but let me dream!!

Connah's Quay power station is just a few miles up the road from me, generating real Welsh volts, but I don't know how often, or for how long, they go 'on line' these days. So it's quite possible that the volts falling out of my wall are inferior English ones ... ;)

aah, but the welsh mob cash in, even on volts produced elswhere - as in our new wind farm off the coast at Great Yarmouth - 30 lovely windmills, and although no doubt we get the power, I'm told the people with the on off switch are in Merthyr Tydfil!

aah, but the welsh mob cash in, even on volts produced elswhere - as in our new wind farm off the coast at Great Yarmouth - 30 lovely windmills, and although no doubt we get the power, I'm told the people with the on off switch are in Merthyr Tydfil!

Now why would we want your English wind farm electricity, when we've got our very own wind farm that's recently been 'planted' in the sea a couple of miles off the coast at Rhyl? (Brown electricity, anyone?! ;) )

As to whether anyone's actually found the on-off switch for that one, though ... well, who knows? Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the thieving scousers have been and nicked it, and taken it down the scrappy for a couple of quid! :** laughs out loud **:

Archived