VGA -> Composite convertor

lonfire

hi,

I use a videonics MX1 vision mixer, but when I use it with a laptop the screen is very flickery and weird.. I'm using the S-video output from the laptop.. any ideas why this might be?

I was thinking of trying to get a convertor to plug in that will take a standard monitor output and convert it to composite video.. anybody used one? recon this would work better?

thanks

chris

The output from the laptop is likely to be a much better quality picture than any (consumer) scanconvertor that you can buy. The good ones are very very expensive. As James says, check if you are outputting PAL or NTSC and also check the refresh rate of the laptop video output, possibly a quick tweak will help with that. I presume you are using good quality cables ? :)

HTH

David

hi,

yeah outputting PAL.. if I'm showing video from the laptop it's not too noticable.. just static things like text from powerpoint and such like that it struggles with..

think I played around with the refresh on the output before and it didn't seem to make much difference..

rgds

chris

Actually I am interested in doing the opposite, as old monitors are dirt cheap, and flat screens are getting very affordable, is there a device that allows a composite video to be displayed on these computer monitors?

Actually I am interested in doing the opposite, as old monitors are dirt cheap, and flat screens are getting very affordable, is there a device that allows a composite video to be displayed on these computer monitors?

Yes these devices do exist, they've got one in the broadcast studio in Warwick Arts Centre, unfortunately I won't be back in there to find out what its called until a couple of weeks into January, if I get a chance I'll have a google and see if I can find it, or if not you could have a look on Keene Electronics, they probably sell them.

HTH

PN

I use one of these which converts PAL into 800x600 50Hz or NTSC into 800x600 60Hz (NB most TFTs can't display 50Hz) (costs £30)

They also do one of These that does any resolution / scan rate you wish within reason. (costs £60)

These are good enough for what I need.

James

have A Lool at this one , http://www.teletest.co.uk/productinfo.asp?part=OZD9120

it may seem a little pricy but it does have an on bord Quad, allowing you to have 4 images on screen or P in P

henny

I use one of these which converts PAL into 800x600 50Hz or NTSC into 800x600 60Hz (NB most TFTs can't display 50Hz) (costs £30)

They also do one of These that does any resolution / scan rate you wish within reason. (costs £60)

These are good enough for what I need.

James

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if I have posted something about this recently on another page, but this is close to something I am looking for. I want to convert RF to composite video, as I have a laptop which has AV in and out, and I wish to recieve telly on it abroad next year. It does not have working USB's so have to go this route.

it is the oposite to this chap AV-RF

I want to convert RF to composite video, <snip>

it is the oposite to this chap AV-RF

= a VCR. AFAIK it's trickier to de-modulate an RF signal to composite, than it is to modulate it (the device you linked to).

And a VCR would probably be a wee bit too big to lug round with a laptop too...

David

Thanks for the help Colin and David, I think that the converter will be too much money, when I can buy a small telly for peanuts when I get there. As it had to go in a suitcase, I wanted something I could add on to the Laptop screen. I do have an old VCR up in the loft, I might see how much of it I can remove, before it stops working, and stick whats left in a project box!

Unless I've miss understood, your trying to watch TV on your laptop, and you need to convert the RF into composite video. Would one of the cheap digital freeview boxes do the trick, as all the ones I've seen have a SCART output. That would give you the extra freeview channels at the same time. Although is digital TV available/in the same format abroad?

Archived