PAtt 223 v 743

timtheenchanteruk

If the lanterns are in the original silver livery then it's a good bet that they will be 223's, likewise a lantern in black (assuming it's not had a re-spray will most likely to be a 743. Another tell tale of a definate Pat743 would be the use of plastic lock knobs on the tilt and the back focus knob, thus denoting a later model unit. I believe that Rank supplied both a 223 and 743 verision while they were in their 'olive green phase'

However there is always an exception to the rule so I would be inclined to check before ordering.

cheers, will get the scope out in the morning (oh Joy)

we only have 2 of them, but they are good lanterns, and still in olive green, we have quite a collection of the good old strand stuff, not a Patt45 in sight!!

in honesty, I frequently prefer the older PAT123s to the quartets Fs and PCs we have, likewise there seems to be a better light output from the Patt23s than the quartet profiles.

cheers, will get the scope out in the morning (oh Joy)

we only have 2 of them, but they are good lanterns, and still in olive green, we have quite a collection of the good old strand stuff, not a Patt45 in sight!!

in honesty, I frequently prefer the older PAT123s to the quartets Fs and PCs we have, likewise there seems to be a better light output from the Patt23s than the quartet profiles.

:unsure: Have to agree,you'll need to get the scope out as they look identical( we have both).One point though, the 223 didn't use a p28 cap it used a p40 as did most lanterns of a 1k ilk and that time period.As a by the way,anyone know where I can get a patt56 acting area flood? Saw loads on 100 years of the london palladium,so surely there must be some about.Does anyone know who does a conversion for a 223 as I only have a limited supply of p40 lamps. By the way,have to agree,build quality on quartets is pants,I was working on a 75 year old patt50a which was easier to work on than a quartet pc.Oh for the patt 23,123,803,813 etc thats when Strand really made lanterns! If anyone comes across a patt 56 please let me know if its surplus to requirements as our historical collection desperately needs one.

Back in 1992 there was still a complete set of Seecol colour mixing rig underneath the stage at the Kings Southsea to go with the Grand Master that was still on its perch. They've probably thrown it out now but trust me it was all there including I'm pretty sure some Patt 56s and some Seecol stands which I actually used. Worth an enquiry?

Back in 1992 there was still a complete set of Seecol colour mixing rig underneath the stage at the Kings Southsea to go with the Grand Master that was still on its perch. They've probably thrown it out now but trust me it was all there including I'm pretty sure some Patt 56s and some Seecol stands which I actually used. Worth an enquiry?

:D Thanks,can you pm me with contact details,and I will certainly try an enquiry,thanks again Roy

"One point though, the 223 didn't use a p28 cap it used a p40 as did most lanterns of a 1k ilk and that time period"

The Patt 223 did use a P28 cap lampholder. (See the instruction manual printed on the strand archive p223 page) if you have some with a P40 base they must be a very early batch?

I have some in my collection and they most definately are P28.

I dont have any patt 56 acting areas either in my collection. The only place I know that had some were Jim Laws of course.

"One point though, the 223 didn't use a p28 cap it used a p40 as did most lanterns of a 1k ilk and that time period"

The Patt 223 did use a P28 cap lampholder. (See the instruction manual printed on the strand archive p223 page) if you have some with a P40 base they must be a very early batch?

I dont have any patt 56 acting areas either in my collection. The only place I know that had some were Jim Laws of course.

I own two patt 223s that still have the original p28 lamp holders in them. They are all original except I painted the original silver housings a nice shade of black and the whips have been changed

:D Hi Dave, just had a look at ours,and s*ds law of course you are correct.They are fitted with p28 caps,in my defence I've been working on a lot of p40 lanterns and knew we didn't have the lamps for it,therefore I got them mixed up sorry folks.Dont often get it wrong,means I've got to get conversion kits.Still one good things come out of it,I now know where to get the kits from! Put it down to old age!

:D Hi Dave, just had a look at ours,and s*ds law of course you are correct.They are fitted with p28 caps,in my defence I've been working on a lot of p40 lanterns and knew we didn't have the lamps for it,therefore I got them mixed up sorry folks.Dont often get it wrong,means I've got to get conversion kits.Still one good things come out of it,I now know where to get the kits from! Put it down to old age!

We have a mixture of 223s and 743s at the Crescent but all have been converted to the GX bases and use T11 lamps. So for all intensive purposes they are 743s - apart from the hot focussing handles!

Archived