Children in Need

DSA

So I am about to sit back for what should be another top year from the BBC. It must be such fun to work on something like that.

I find it amazing how few 'mistakes' there are (that I see anyway!). I guess there can't be that long for rehearsals (seeing as it is sooooo long a show!)

Anyway, I have created this thread for chatter regarding the show. I will post my comments later on (well probably tomorrow!!)

David

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch one second of this bilge. I had various buckets rattled at me today by fools in ridiculous costumes, they were told in no uncertain terms where to shove them. I'm not against charity, but I am tired of the "aren't I wacky, it's for charity". nonsense. :o Still I suppose Terry & Gabby will be several thousand pounds better off by the end of the night.

Rant over.

heh watched a bit of it so far - impressive display of chroma stuff (banks, and molefays type things). also some cool pyros. think they had a few probs with sound at the begginning, some sharp fades on mics in/out and shortcutting plus a little hissing?!?

anyone here work on it? must be a pretty cool thing...

Yes there does seem to be a little feedback.....

Anyway I cant help but thinking that there is a bit too much live music this year especially from the OBs (also the OB links seem quite bad...maybe that will improve).

Shame some of the live acts have mimed....oh and the blankety blank messup..hehe - I'm not too sure whether it was actually meant to spin!

Also I can't believe that the presenters take a fee for this....come on surely not!

David

anyone here work on it? must be a pretty cool thing...

I'm not working on it but I've walked down ring road past the studio a few times in the last week Last I saw there was what appeared to be a series 5 and a pm5d outside waiting to go in. (This was as they were rigging the main truss)

The feedback does appear to be particularly bad. I might try to bribe someone from studios on monday when I'm back in to see if something went wrong or if it was just digital trouble.

James

yeah I thought the sound was awfull, for some reason the playback seemed to be very slow for the whole first half, I just hope it wasnt like that in the studio cos trying to mime in slow motion isnt easy.

also when mc, fly came on stage the FOH sound was terrible, you couldnt hear one of the vocals.

the thing on blankety blank wasnt meant to spin it wasnt on a turntable it was on casters, the stage crew were suposed to spin it when the camera panned off the wheel but it never did, I also thought the huge length of cable that stuck out the hole on the side of the thing was very unsafe looking :o

Did you also catch the very very bad miming from Lee in BLUE, he missed his opening line and after that he thought sod it, and just didnt bother to mime, so the vocals were ringing out and he just waved the mic around a little.

I thought the moving light was good, I love to see iris effects.

Il divo and alison moyet were brill.

I also thought the new mary popins musical looks fab, and the three females singers from Mama Mia cant sing!!!

vince

I'm glad someone else thought the sound was odd. On my system whenever we get this type of programme something happens to the surround sound.

Presenter mics sound fine, centre and little apart from audience in the surrounds. The songs on my system are where the problem is. the centre channel volume drops badly, leaving reverb heavy sound on the l/r with loads of ambience on the rear. In one section, terry and gabby were fine, but the singers mic was very strange sounding. Do the BBC treat the presenters as mono and do 'clever' things with anyone singing (or doubling) to track?

Eurovision was a bit like this too, IIRC

p

I'm glad someone else thought the sound was odd. On my system whenever we get this type of programme something happens to the surround sound.

Presenter mics sound fine, centre and little apart from audience in the surrounds. The songs on my system are where the problem is. the centre channel volume drops badly, leaving reverb heavy sound on the l/r with loads of ambience on the rear. In one section, terry and gabby were fine, but the singers mic was very strange sounding. Do the BBC treat the presenters as mono and do 'clever' things with anyone singing (or doubling) to track?

Eurovision was a bit like this too, IIRC

p

Sounds like the pre-recorded stereo music tracks are confusing the pseudo inteligent surround sound procesing.

TV sound is mixed so that M and S < PPM6 and no consideration is offered to surround sound and therefore it's understandable that the surround sound might sound a little pants.

If you want the sound to appear as it does to the sound superviser in the gallery buy a pair of ATC SCM150's

James

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch one second of this bilge.

<SNIP>

Rant over.

I know you shouldn't share needles, but can I borrow them when you're done? :o

Certainly Sir! I haven't needed them since the opening night of We Will Rock You!

Honestly there are more civilised ways of alleviating child poverty, like not voting Tory for a start!

Surround sound on TV is based on Dolby Pro Logic. It works by encoding the surround information in the audio signal by modifying the phase information.

While (to my knowledge) no BBC live studio programme has Dolby Pro Logic surround by intention, it is possible for them to have slight phase errors in their output signals, caused by delayed mic pickup from the studio monitoring and audience FOH systems. On a show like CIN where there could be three different monitoring systems in operation during a single act it's exceptionally hard to reduce spill to nil. This wouldn't necessarily be noticable on stereo monitoring, but a Dolby Decoder might decode as if it were pro-logic information.

Best just to turn off your surround decoding for stereo programmes.

(On the subject of CIN - was very impressed by the sound mix for the Poppins section - anyone know if it was the show's FOH tech doing this mix?)

Surround sound on TV is based on Dolby Pro Logic. It works by encoding the surround information in the audio signal by modifying the phase information.

While (to my knowledge) no BBC live studio programme has Dolby Pro Logic surround by intention

As broadcast there is no surround information in a TV picture. On analog terrestrial the audio is sent in M+S format due to the fact that stereo was a late addition into the system and they had to make it backwards compatible with mono TV's. They then added NICAM stereo onto the very top end of the TV channel slot. (NICAM being dreamed up by BBC R&D as a method of sending high quality stereo channels using very little bandwidth at a time when bandwidth for audio alone was very expensive.)

On digital transmissions it is different, within the MPEG stream you can send one picture stream with as many audio streams associated with it (similar to how DVDs do it). This is used in the case of audio descriptions where there is a second stereo feed, one leg of which contains a data stream, the other a mono commentry for those who can't see the picture. The result is that it would be theoretically possible to send a surround and a stereo feed to the home, but as far as I am aware no one is doing this, as the extra bandwidth can be sold as another radio service or used elsewehere. Also I don't think there are any set-top boxes which could decode it.

As a result of the fact that no one transmits surround sound, none of the Television Centre (BBC Resources) Studios are set up for surround work. Of the Post Production dubbing suites in London, if I remember correctly only one (maybe two) of them have surround capablitly in them with the idea of mastering for DVDs. To the best of my knowledge this is a functionality that is practically never used.

What you are hearing at home is your TV's interpretation of where it thinks it should be putting the items in the surround sound world. I don't know how you are getting yuor signal to work out if it is using the M&S signal and then spreading the stereo components, or something more fancy.

As James said, I might have to find out what Studios take is on Friday night!

john

Archived