Leaf Drop

froggy_2810

Hey there,

As simple as it sounds (I hope im in the right area) but a client of mine has asked me to make a leaf drop for their prodution, it's in a sports centre so there are no flying bars, but there are static ones. I'm not sure where to start with this so any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Craig

If you have fixed bars, then a mod of the traditional snow box works pretty well. Knock up a box out of 6mm mdf - about a metre long, 100mm wide and deep. with a router, cut slots across the width from top to bottom. Cut another panel of MDF that is about 100mm shorter than the cavity and loose enough to slide end-to end by the 100mm. Rout slats in this one too so that when the panel is at one end, the slats don't align - sealing the box. An elastic band and a couple of screws each side to pull the slide to the closed position. Attach cord (I used the Venetian blind sort) to the other end, exit through a hole drilled in the box. Fit the box to the hanging point, thread the cord to somewhere where you can pull/release/pull/release. Works for Snow paper and glitter strips - can't see a problem with leaves.

best leaf droper ive seen was a carbord tube (from the centrer of a roll of carpet) and a DMX mirror ball motor with a large rubber wheel on the end,the tube had various size holes along its lenght ,were the leaves came out and the motor to tube connection was friction,obviously there was a frame to hold it all together,but the whole lot was fairy easy to haul up in the air.vary the speed of rotation varied the amount of leaves falling

How about a good old fashioned kabuki drop? Two lengths of 3x1 with a piece of fabric fastened between them on the long sides, and a piece of wood fashioned to hold the 3x1 together, connected to a piece of line that runs through a couple of pulleys to the operators position. On cue, a sharp tug releases the holding mechanism, one length of timber falls, and hey presto, leaves (or anything) falls to earth.

Archived