Help making a New York Streetlight...

Aaron-Hill07

Afternoon All,

Currently doing some final bits and pieces for the production of Guys & Dolls I'm working on and find myself a bit stuck for ideas for the New York Streetlight.

Now, it needs to be able to come on and off stage quite easily, so weight needs to be as low as possible to be able to be moveable yet heavy enough not to fall over if a cast member accidently knocks it.

My idea so far, is to get a basketball hoop and stand (like a mobile basketball net kind of thing).. take off the actual board and hoop etc, so it's a base and pole.. then make the actual lamp part that will fit on the top with a dimmable lamp in it, so I can control it if I want to...

The one thing that's got me stuck is how to make the actual lamp housing?

Any ideas? I know I could try and find an actual lamp housing, but it could take me ages to find something thats the right size etc and would work.

I want to create something like this: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...tx=48&ty=89

Thanks in advance!

Just figured out a good solution for the lamp-post which is cost effective so will go with that..

however, another thing...

The director would like a door to be functional in 'the mission' part of the show so cast can enter/exit through the door which is part of the set.

I'm creating the rest of the inside of the mission with 2 x 8'x4' flats dressed to suit, and was thinking of how to incorpoate a door between the two flats.... Obviously I need to make sure whatever I do, is strong enough to not collapse when shut (incase of accidental slamming etc) so would brace it... but I can't think of an easy way of doing it (As you can tell, my strongest point isn't set building!)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Archived