Lighting Desk Choice

Ali2580

In terms of cue stack use, the most cumbersome feature is that the Sirius does not have a cue copy command- you have to re-build the new cue on faders (there is a way of outputting the current programmed cue at the same time so you can compare the cue to the current fader settings), and there is no way to use the same cue in multiple cue stack positions.

There is no include/update type functionality available. To modify a cue you have to rebuild it on faders and then re-program it. Program just overwrites the current memory.

Hmmm not quite correct. With the Sirius, you can copy cues by copying to a Memory Master then from there to another cue memory - I did loads of these a few weeks ago when I had lots of scenes the same. You can also use memory match in which the desk tells you how the faders are set for a cue so you can adjust the cue or use it as a basis for another state. You can also override individual channels in a cue by setting the B fader to what you want and pressing the flash button when in program mode (more usually you change it to zero first then remix it to the new level).

Peter V

Memory corruption by fiddly fingers: the key could be avoided with the desk being left on "Presets Only" (makes it basically usable on A/B presets & master) until the final curtain closes!!

Memory corruption by faulty mains, desk quirks etc : Bad Luck without a card: old fashioned cue sheet with dimmer level notes!

Note: Chases are recorded as at the moment programmed, if you modify a chase later the chase in the Memories/Stack will be the OLD version until updated. (Must be to do with the simple programming of memory cues: actually useful since you can have 9 chases + more in the memoriesl)

(Off topic: These Melcards seem as hard to find as DX7 plug in memories! - any around?)

(Off topic: These Melcards seem as hard to find as DX7 plug in memories! - any around?)

Heh heh, I've got two. But it's taken me 4 years to acquire them and now they're locked in a vault! They come up at around one or two a year on ebay and usually end up going for about 40 quid or so.

I last used a Sirius in 1992 but even then I found it ideal and infuriating in almost equal measure. I agree with what others have said - you must read the manual as virtually nothing is intuitive. (Be aware that Zero 88's claims of memory capacity at the time were boosted by using every possible chase as a cue too!) Don't forget that if the timing function defeats you you can assign any memory to one of the six sub-masters and run the show by hand - which I always did. But unless you are using a memory card you would be well advised to mark up cue sheets as well. BTW I think I have a key somwhere....

Have no truck with the venue TAKE the key out!

Or here's an idea. Mark up the cue sheets and simply use it as an old fashioned two preset board. We used to manage pretty well...

as I recall there are several pages of submasters, so you can use 1 to six , then when sub 6 is live, you change page. sub 6 is held until you bring up sub 7 (on fader 1), then sub 12 is loaded .... and so on. Can't remember exactly how many pages there are available ...

and it is possible, though fiddly to copy cues to a new memory number. If yopu are plotting an existing show, then you would know that cue 3 is the same as cue 5 etc, so you create cue 3, then record the same state as all the repeat numbers. if it's a new show, then you can "modify" - matching the levels by using the flashing LEDs, and then allocate a new memory number. Not absolutely accurate, but not too bad.

as I recall there are several pages of submasters, so you can use 1 to six , then when sub 6 is live, you change page. sub 6 is held until you bring up sub 7 (on fader 1), then sub 12 is loaded .... and so on. Can't remember exactly how many pages there are available ...

That's right. It works consecutively so that cues 1-6 are loaded to sub-masters one to six and pressing a button simply loads the next one in turn. The cue number appears in a display above the fader. I think it's infinite in that it will handle all the memories available. Don't forget the A&B pre-set levers are available all the time as well so that specials can be added manually if you wish...

I found LED matching function very fiddly. But there is an obvious way round the problem if you think about it

Sorry if this sounds a bit cynical and sarcastic. I don't mean it to, but...

There's a very respectable hire outfit less than 10 miles from both the OP and the venue that the he's talking about, from where he could hire a different desk (With a memory output or card built in) for the week purely for his show and for his piece of mind.

Simply unplug it at the end of the night and shut the lid on the flightcase - problem solved.

Given that the OP's profile says that he works/worked part time for this hire company, he should be able to wrangle a good discount from the proprietor (He's very amenable that way).

Less than £50ish for a weeks piece of mind? I know what I'd be doing.

Just add it on to your week's fee for the show.

(Ali, I assume that you ARE charging CMS a fee, even if they are an am-dram? Trust me, from the hassle you are likely to encounter, charge them at least something for your time)

Alternatively, the old LBX that used to operate the Webster Theatre (Where the OP says he also works part-time) was still kicking about last time I looked. I'm sure that, as he'd be moving it from one council venue to another, they'd let him use that and he could save the show to the floppy drive as necessary.

Heck, I've done that around the local halls and schools, and I don't even work for that Department in Angus Council - It's just a case of speaking to the right people (And bribing them with doughnuts!).

As a last resort, you could always do what Junior8 says and just take the key out ("Oops, I must have put it in my pocket and forgotten about it").

Have you thought of using the free MagicQ software from Chamsys?

If you have a laptop already, you just need a DMX interface such as the cheap Velleman one. I find this arangement works ok for up to around 150 channels, but above that the DMX framing struggles a bit so you need a better DMX dongle or a proper Chamsys PCwing.

If you just want to run a cue stack on a go button with generics, and can manage without real faders, this will easily do just that.

Also, if you are using generics only, it's pretty quick to get the hang of if you've not used it before. You can insert the same cue into a stack in several locations so you only have to change a look once, and each time it comes up it'll look the same. Copying, moving and re arranging cues within a stack is a doddle.

And you can stick it on your bag and take it home each night so no tampering!

Archived