Laptop with VGA securing threads

pete10uk

Hi There

I'm specifying up a laptop to include with a system I'm selling to one of my customers.

I have been looking at laptops from the usual places but can't seem to find any with the VGA securing holes and the VGA connection preferably on the rear.

Most of my hire stock is Toshiba but are now 18 months old, these except for the newest one all have VGA on rear and screws.

Any suggestions where I can find a suitable laptop, my budget is around the £450 mark

Cheers

The current Dell business class (latitude + precision) machines have VGA securing holes. The also can be used with a docking station / port replicator which gives you extra output options and a properly reliable power supply that is locked to the machine instead of being on a silly little cable which can pull out.

Damage to the connector and the motherboard is sometimes the risk that they want to avoid! Lack of nuts means that the conector pulls apart, fitted nuts means a warranty replacement mobo in many cases.

I'd rather buy a new Laptop than risk having to discount an invoice because a VGA popped out of the Laptop mid presentation. I've worked on shows where a radio mic went on stage muted (having been given to the presenter unmuted I hasten to add), and nearly cost the Production Co £15K....

Back OT - we've got a few Advents that have DVI connectors which have the locking nuts and were supplied with DVI-VGA adaptors.

Damage to the connector and the motherboard is sometimes the risk that they want to avoid! Lack of nuts means that the conector pulls apart, fitted nuts means a warranty replacement mobo in many cases.

I'd rather buy a new Laptop than risk having to discount an invoice because a VGA popped out of the Laptop mid presentation. I've worked on shows where a radio mic went on stage muted (having been given to the presenter unmuted I hasten to add), and nearly cost the Production Co £15K....

Back OT - we've got a few Advents that have DVI connectors which have the locking nuts and were supplied with DVI-VGA adaptors.

My exact point, this makes me almost as frustrated as the different mac adaptors, but that’s a different rant.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Thanks all for your suggestions, Very helpful.

Cheers

I recently got as a work issued laptop an HP Probook 6550b. I doubt it's in budget but it does have a rear mounted VGA port with securing nuts. The good thing for me is that it has virtually every other modern connection (USB, Firewire, esata, etc.) plus a few rather old school, like it has an actual modem, and a serial port!

I recently got as a work issued laptop an HP Probook 6550b. I doubt it's in budget but it does have a rear mounted VGA port with securing nuts. The good thing for me is that it has virtually every other modern connection (USB, Firewire, esata, etc.) plus a few rather old school, like it has an actual modem, and a serial port!

I wish serial ports were around more! Admittedly I use a netbook for work (mostly data networks) but using a USB serial emulator can be a pain, especially as the one I have assigns itself to one of three serial ports every time I connect it!

Archived