Can theatre ever be a 'popular' art form?

S.M

Most succesful writers nowadays write both for theatre and TV.
Like the legendry Ben Elton!!!

People can watch all the sport they want on Sky sports one, ITV, BBC etc. etc. but thousands of people pack stadiums nationwide every weekend to watch football live- if you asked them why they go and odnt just watch it at home on the box from the warmth and comfort of their living room they would all say they go for the atmosphere (however im shure that you would also get some people saying they go for the rioting- but thats besides the point) the same applies to the theatre. Its the atmosphere!!

Sam

I dont think theatre will ever be overidden by TV. Theatre always has that slight touch of enjoyment. Were as if you were at home watching it, it wouldnt be the same. I think that theatre will keep improving and become more and more popular.

When TV was in it's infancy, drama was exactly the same as theatre, theatre scripts weren't even seriously adapted before being shot by camera (In fact before the days of cheep tape it was often cheeper pay the cast and crew to perform the same play live two days running than record it when you wanted a repeat.)

Nowadays writing for TV has changed a lot, Editing, effects and camera tricks all come into a production that is more than the sum of its parts. Similarly Theatre will not always work on TV (Some exceptions to the rule, For example did anyone see Richard II Live on September 11 2003 from The Globe to BBC4, the latest in a trend that started in November 16 1938, with JB Priestley's comedy, When We Are Married from St Martin's Theatre?)

I don't think Theatre will be rendered obsolete by TV untill the last theatre has closed. I do think that the introduction of TV as an artform has affected the artform of the Theatre, In the same way Theatre was affected by Music Hall, Cinema, Talkies Radio, the Internet etc.... Who can deny that cinema affected theatre, some closed, some changed and some grew. Theatre should continue to change, adapt and evolve to reflect its changing position in the 'artistic marketplace' but there is nothing at the moment to indicate that it might be rendered outdated yet.

Theatre always has that slight touch of enjoyment.

Coupled with sheer unadulterated misery, are you suggesting?!!

I find theatre has a lot more than a slight touch of enjoyment! :stagecrew:

Yea well I suppose it is more that a "slight touch" but I was just tryin to put the point across that it is more enjoyable than TV :P

Yea well I suppose it is more that a "slight touch" but I was just tryin to put the point across that it is more enjoyable than TV

I dunno about that, I find them just as enjoyable as each other to be honest with you. I'm a huge fan of CSI, and I don't think you'd be able to replicate that on stage somehow. Ditto I can think of lots of plays, musicals and dance pieces I've seen this year that wouldn't work on TV, unless given an appreciative audience on Artsworld, Performance or BBC Four.

Stu

People can watch all the sport they want on Sky sports one, ITV, BBC etc. etc. but thousands of people pack stadiums nationwide every weekend to watch football live- <SNIP>

Just the same can be said for music; I listen to recordings all the time, home, work & car, but still pay VERY good money to hear bands live. It's the spontaneity and atmosphere I think.

I am also pre-disposed to listen to "live" recordings, perhaps for similar reasons.

And back to the question; No TV will never replace theatre or visa-versa. Horses for courses and all that.

Quite agree with Sam's point, the analagy of Live/televised sport is a very good one.

When you think about it, and I know this is quite simplistic - in theatre you see a performance, television and film are trying, with varied success, to recreate the performance.

Interesting though, that an actor who walks onto the eastenders set and falls over a box of bananas will be seen by more people than Dame Judi Dench doing 10 years without a break in the West End on a show. So maybe the question has a lot to do with scale rather than popularity.

The world is full of strange people! People of various social and academic aspirations. Has The Times been replaced by the Daily Mirror, has the FT been replaced by the Economist?

Probably more people remember Dame Diana Rigg for her role in the Avengers than any of her more serious - title earning - theatre roles.

Archived