New Years Eve in your venue

Dodgecaliber

Hi all,

Been asked to come up with a plan for a massive new years eve party in my venue. It's my first year as an in-house and although I've worked on other events on NYE, the only ideas are coming from the mrs at the moment (Ive only ever worked on ourdoor stages on NYE).

The venue is a very, very old building, imagine a large town hall that is very grand and ornate, similar to the Glasgow Fruitmarket. We are a live venue and on NYE the plan is to have around 30 tables on the ground floor with capacity of 500.

Washing inside and out happens on a regular basis, the clock tower is massive and I'd like that to be a focal point, but im looking for something special....

What do you do in your venue for NYE?

What would you love do to in your venue for NYE if you had no limits? I know every tech has something they want an excuse to do, some like to wear makeup and some would love to light up that fancy part of the building....

Suggestions are from a clock projected onto the roof/walls to fireworks etc.

Stupid question complete.

- Dodge

What artistes from your current genre are available, Is the place Scots celtic, Rock, Pop, Classical.........orientated. If you have indoor pyros and confetti streamers etc will the punters like it more than the cleaners dislike it.

Tables, live band, comedian, MC for midnight with chimes from wherever by radio, confetti and streamers gerbes etc, change into disco for an hour before closing.

At a guess many performers will have their NYE well planned out by now.

What artistes from your current genre are available, Is the place Scots celtic, Rock, Pop, Classical.........orientated. If you have indoor pyros and confetti streamers etc will the punters like it more than the cleaners dislike it.

Tables, live band, comedian, MC for midnight with chimes from wherever by radio, confetti and streamers gerbes etc, change into disco for an hour before closing.

At a guess many performers will have their NYE well planned out by now.

I believe that the band(s) are booked. Due to the nature of the building inside your not even allowed a candle on a table, NO risks are taken with the venue as it's considered a major building of historical/architectural importance. I can rig whatever I like, wherever I like, the upper level is probably going to be sealed off so I'd like to take the chance and light up each of the 'domes' between the outer wall and the roof supports.

Regarding pyros - I'd have to go for options that produce no/little smoke but I like that idea!

Keep em' coming

If you're planning to project a clock onto a wall...and have a large clock tower, why not get some basic video gear and project the actual clock from outside.

I am of course assuming there is a safe way to rig a camera at such an angle that it is clearly the clock outside.

Also, if Pyro is tricky, what about a balloon drop at midnight? Very easy to rig up with a 80% chance of working. ;-) (I speak from experience!)

Joking aside, it really is quite easy to do with some simple netting and string threaded through.

If you're planning to project a clock onto a wall...and have a large clock tower, why not get some basic video gear and project the actual clock from outside.

I am of course assuming there is a safe way to rig a camera at such an angle that it is clearly the clock outside.

Also, if Pyro is tricky, what about a balloon drop at midnight? Very easy to rig up with a 80% chance of working. ;-) (I speak from experience!)

Joking aside, it really is quite easy to do with some simple netting and string threaded through.

I like!

Balloon drop and the camera outside is a fantastic idea. Only hesitation with the camera is it would have to go in a nearby flat or on the roof....

What would be the easiest way to send a video link inside without wires? (Im asking what kit to use not how RF signals work!)

doing a small venue this year and it will have a beach party theme. At midnight tv on silent. When the close up off big ben appears I hit the CD player with pre recorded bells and chimes. works well been useing it for years. Better than getting sound from the TV. Band then comes in with ol lang sign.

What would be the easiest way to send a video link inside without wires? (Im asking what kit to use not how RF signals work!)

Record it 24 hours earlier?

Good shout!

I was thinking for the "And now we go LIVE to our very own clock tower!". But lets face it, no one would know! (You can buy my silence!) :rolleyes:

With regards to the balloon drop, the colour of the balloons can be quite good at setting a theme for the rest of decoration. I know nothing about the "classiness" of your venue but it would be something I'd factor in when picking a colour. (Gold and silver or multicolour etc)

For pyro, I'm sure you could find a confetti thing with minimal smoke. I'm not too clued up on that sort of thing but I got some small confetti shots from AC Lighting for less than £10 each (I think, it was a while ago) for a club night I once did. Wasn't a very big coverage but was a good effect on the stage.

Possibly not too achievable without large amout of money and/or time but when someone mentioned projections and New Year this was the first thing that jumped to my mind -

(NB: Video is an overlay of the render onto the video. The real one is on there too but looks more washed out due to the huge amount ambient light).

I think I actually got the link from BR a while ago in the first place :rolleyes:

I have always wanted to try this out. I did take a 'mapping' of the school hall but never got around to trying any animations on it.

If you want a confetti effect but can't use pyro, then a CO2 'launched' flutter-fetti hit can look spectacular and can be made to last a bit longer than a pyro hit (obviously, the cleaners will never speak to you again!). Alternatively, if you can use 'minimum pyro' then how about using large balloons filled with confetti, burst on cue using pyro igniters? If you have the budget, time and will-power you could even do a few chases!

Our NYE celebrations last year consisted of lots of pyros and around 50m of Chroma-Q Colour Web 250 with a media server with an LED Pixel mapper. Looks fantastic when combined with normal fixtures, movers and projectors. You may also want to look into 3D mapping. See this video:

It would be a complicated setup, combining lots of projectors and servers, but would look spectacular.

Good Luck!

Archived