SIL Followspot

Matthew Robinson

I would say a pretty confident yes.

As long as the lantern has no ballast attached (either integral or external) then you're fine - ie it's a normal incandescent lamp.

AND your dimmers are beefy enough to cope with the lamp load.

Hmmm...

I thought that was a bit of an odd figure, but indeed, as per the LSC web site they do in fact spec 13A or 25A dimmer circuits - odd, as most will normally only spec 10A channels, which will comfortably drive up to about 2.5kW each.

What lamp do you have in the Sil?

Did you mean it was a 25 degree lantern, or a 2.5kW lamp house?

IFAIK there is no ballast on the dimmer. Also, the LSC website seem to suggest that the output of their dimmers is 13A or more.

I don't think you read Ynot's first answer correctly. Dimmers don't have ballasts, but lanterns do if they are discharge luminaires. A discharge luminaire must not be connected to a dimmer channel.

It's a 25 degree lantern with a 2000W lamp, so it should be pulling about 8.5A.

Ah, that's OK then well within the 2.4kW capacity of a 10A dimmer channel.

IFAIK there is no ballast on the dimmer. Also, the LSC website seem to suggest that the output of their dimmers is 13A or more.

I don't think you read Ynot's first answer correctly. Dimmers don't have ballasts, but lanterns do if they are discharge luminaires. A discharge luminaire must not be connected to a dimmer channel.

Sorry, it was late. Yeah, the lantern doesn't have a ballast is what I meant.

I thought that was a bit of an odd figure,
Heading a bit OT, but there are a fair few 12.5 and 13A dimmer ranges around.

My experience is limited therefore as before now I'd not seen a modern range in that bracket.

Ho hum - learned something today then.

:rolleyes: Just a thought,isnt 25 degrees a bit wide for a follow,I was under the impression follows are normally narrow angle.I suppose if its a short throw it might be ok.Perhaps someone can put me right, I also echo whats been said allready about the suitability for dimming.Regards Roy

Just to confirm that the CCT Sil can be dimmed - we had a Sil as a Followspot at my last school.

A rather broad generalisation, and one which could get you into problems. Not all CCT Silhouette followspots can be dimmed - if you plugged our two old CSI ones directly into dimmers, for example, you'd end up with a rather large repair bill.

The short answer to what seems to have turned into a rather long-winded thread is this : if the lanterns have a tungsten lamp (i.e. they plug directly into a mains socket without the addition of any additional control gear, ballasts, etc.) then yes, they can be dimmed ; if they have a discharge lamp (i.e. they require an external ballast) then no, they can't.

Simple quick answer: you can't use dimmers on anything but halogen filament followspots (there are DMX controlled shutters etc... for HMI/CID... Pani's etc) but watch out: some have a fan to cool the iris and other parts - if this is the case it might not cool adequately since the fan may stop or not start at low light levels.

To modify the followspot with a seperate fan feed is possible but it could lead to excessively quick cooling ot the lamp etc.: this may have consequences like shortening of lamp life and fatigue due to rapid temperature changes, so careful study and care would be advisable.

Archived