Guys & Dolls Set - HELP!

One thing I will add is that it MIGHT be worth talking to the theatre tech manager where you're producing the show - assuming that it's IN a theatre and not in the school hall.

I can, for example, call upon some discounts from 2 or 3 scenery hire companies AS I have regular dealings with them. Similarly lighting and sound hire - I'll usually get a better deal than someone who just calls them once a year or less. It's the same with purchases - Joe Bloggs buys their stock from XYZ Lighting at list price - I pretty much NEVER pay list price. That's how business (ALL business) works.

How much of that discount gets passed along to the compamy coming in depends on the relationship we have with them. And sometimes it's the full discounted price.

Worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I disagree with a lot of what has been said here, I know your frustration trying to do a set with little to no budget, but IT IS POSSIBLE! I have been part of an am dram youth theatre for about 7 years now, and have done countless musicals (Guys and Dolls included) on ###### all budget!

whilst its true that borrowing is unlikely, it could happen and dont feel bad about asking, I think some people were quite harsh in their response to this

my advice would be to think minimalistic/creative, a lot of stuff you can build yourself/adapt from previously owned stuff. I found a lot can be gained from speaking to small companies who are finishing a tour and have ###### loads left over they dont need anymore, (for a production of we will rock you I got 3 trucks and 2 8x4 flats for free in this way) id suggest contacting some local theatres and see what they can suggest

another option which ive found invaluable, is to contact local schools and get students involved (young doesnt mean bad!) they are often quite creative and can get their schools to help (I know my school leant me equipment and materials to build set and props on numerous occasions and helped me do it!)

nothing is impossible, so dont give up! just talk to as many people as u can and see what they suggest (buying a few pints often helps too!) but you can get a lot for very little, I teched a production of We will Rock You for £300 tech budget with a full set, radio mics, lighting etc, all done by student volunteers, and it was done bloody well!, I mean it wasn't west end standard by any stretch of the imagination, but we had great reviews and several were from people telling box office they thought it was much better than big name touring companies, so it is possible!

students will work for litte/nothing/jaffa cakes and coke! and will put a lot into the show so contact some local schools and see where it gets you.

drama departments will have people who are interested in tech and will gladly give up unreasonable amounts of time to help make shows as good as physically possible.

sorry for the slightly rambly nature of this message, and good luck to you mate!

but you can get a lot for very little, I teched a production of We will Rock You for £300 tech budget with a full set, radio mics, lighting etc, all done by student volunteers, and it was done bloody well!, I mean it wasn't west end standard by any stretch of the imagination, but we had great reviews and several were from people telling box office they thought it was much better than big name touring companies..

I somehow highly doubt that considering there has only been one touring production of WWRY which was produced from the same creative team as the Dominion production. I'm sure they were just being nice. :angry:

but you can get a lot for very little, I teched a production of We will Rock You for £300 tech budget with a full set, radio mics, lighting etc, all done by student volunteers, and it was done bloody well!, I mean it wasn't west end standard by any stretch of the imagination, but we had great reviews and several were from people telling box office they thought it was much better than big name touring companies..

I somehow highly doubt that considering there has only been one touring production of WWRY which was produced from the same creative team as the Dominion production. I'm sure they were just being nice. :)

they may well have just been being nice, but it was still a good production, and people did say that, they didnt necessarily mean tours of we will rock you though. not every big touring company is instantly better than some am dram groups!

I think there is always a balance to be struck here. Of course something for nothing is very difficult to get - and increasingly so these days. I work with a variety of groups - mostly amateur - ranging in scale from doing 'no budget' shows to large productions in the local theatre with production budgets of tens of thousands.

At the lower end of the scale, the resourcefulness of some of the companies never ceases to amaze me. Stuff moves around between them at low cost as they all share a common interest in putting on the best shows possible. It also amazes me how much stuff gets chucked at the end of shows as storage is expensive, so there are opportunities for you to pick stuff up just for the cost of transporting it.

Whilst I appreciate YNot's frustration, and I have experienced the same teching for other groups who bring shows into my venue expecting everything else to happen by magic, I think there are some good chances to do reasonable to good standard shows on minimal budget with a bit of inventiveness.

I also find that the audience profile varies with the show type - and at the bottom end of the crap kids shows it's all parent who provided they can vaguely see little tarquin and amanda at the back of the stage will still shout and cheer at the end no matter now bad is was. They just don't notice the rest. If you do a full show in the 600 seat town theatre where you have to pull joe public in charge them good money for the privilege then they will be more discerning.

The sad fact of the matter is that the technicians notice all the technician stuff and care about it but most of the audience don't (unless it is shockingly bad).

Well, I must say.. its a shame this topics turned into a political discussion as opposed to help for my production now, but thanks to those who have put in their 2p's worth.

The shows 3 weeks away, and things are being built so we'll see how it turns out. Will post up some pictures when it's showtime.

Thanks,

Aaron

Archived