Tank Traps

the kid

I was having a thought while in a lesson today.

Can I get tank traps made?

I was thinking of having engineering making some up for a show. + its good welding experience and they have a reason to be making things.

Looking on doughty there is nothing about a weight but I guess that if I have a long enough upright and a good enough weight there should be nothing stopping me. The poles are not going to be anything bigger than 2m.

Absolutly no reason not to. If you have access to any, you could even measure them to get sizes. You could even get creative and cut a slot in them so that they are stackable. once you have made them I guess it would be a good idea to proof test them.

HTH

Andy Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Just trying to find out if we can make these. Is the wall of the receiver 5mm thick as well?

Annoyingly it could be that we just can't make a bend that tight that thick, and milling would just be a bit crazy and have so much waste.

Thanks... and oh ######.

Although logicaly no issue with a square holder just 3 screws... or am I being illogical.

In fact I suspect you would only need one bolt, at 45 degrees from a corner - Very similar method to clamping the legs into steeldeck....

Chris

Could you not weld on some form of key clamp or barrel joiner?

Admittedly welding something plated can be rather tricky, but it may work out cheaper than getting something made yourself.

£88.55 each

v's

£72 + vat on a sheet to cover making 2.

Can't you use steel tube?

I can't find my BS standard size tables but in the US you could use Schedule 40 pipe; ID = 2.067", wall = 0.154". You might get away with Schedule 80; ID = 1.939" and wall = 0.218"

[EDIT]

Found them...

60.3mm OD with 5.0mm walls giving you a 50.3mm receiver.

Archived