Perspex

richard

IDS as linked above don't deal in plastics or perspex, they are the largest stockholders of laminate products in the uk

for plastics we use eagle plastics and for perspex specifically or clear acrylic as it should be called, a company called polybron

But why are you burning B&Q acrylic anyway? Why are the fumes too much?

well in case of fire you could kindly ask the audience to leave rather than sitting and waiting for it to finish, that way they shouldn't have too many problems with fumes, and the lovely fire fighting people bring their own air with them....

In a previous career I used to compound plastics. The usual reason for "perspex" -transparency- is a problem for fire retardance the usual retarding additives cloud the product to opalescent or opaque. The truly fire retardant material is glass, even laminated glass or especially wire mesh reinfirced glass.

All clear plastics will burn in the end and give copious black smoke laced with Hydrochloric acid gas (from PVC) Hydrogen cyanide (from Acrylic). Polycarbonate is smokey but not as noxious.

Thanks for all the replies, I am still searching for the best option, however the issue on fire retardancy - as discussed above is, according to the fire dept here (Westminster) that any of this kind of material must be class 1 fire rated or equivalent. The B&Q stuff isn't! If you are using a small amount then you can usually get away with it, however since we have around 20 sheets of 8x4 stuff on the set, we wouldn't get away with it!!

Richard

well in case of fire you could kindly ask the audience to leave rather than sitting and waiting for it to finish, that way they shouldn't have too many problems with fumes, and the lovely fire fighting people bring their own air with them....

I wonder why the licencing authorities haven't thought of that?

Archived